Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Drum Roll Please!


Today was Jack's first day at preschool. I don't think I was particularly sad about it, but, it is different. It is wierd to be approximately 28.6 lbs lighter for roughly 6 hours. It is almost 1 :30 p.m., and I have to go collect him in a little over an hour, and I am starting to wonder how he is doing.

I have done nothing particularly thrilling, I haven't even turned on the sewing machine. (Insert gasp here.) Mostly because I have a headache though.

I had grand visions of getting the perfect photo of him and his little backpack (courtesy of Pottery Barn Kids, of course), all ready to go, but, of course, Jack has his own ideas. In the end, I love the picture of him slinging the backpack and heading out the front door into the bright morning sunshine. It is perfect. Just perfect.

And, in the car and ready to leave. Jack is really fascinated by letters right now. He calls the magna doodle his "J" for "Jack" because he suddenly understands the idea of what letters are and the concept that letters make words. He spends a lot of time these days "spelling" his name on the fridge and asking me about letters. He can go so far as to tell me that J-A makes Jack, but he hasn't quite got the C-K part yet.

He is such a big boy today, and I am very proud of him.

P.S. Laura, the pattern is simplicity craft number 8916. I make it in a size 5, even though the kids wear a 2T in clothes. And yes, the school requires shoes with laces, no velcro. Had they allowed velcro, I would have bought him the Thomas shoes he loves.

And thank you all for the comments about the room situation. You are right, the blue will be perfect for Thomas, and it will be ok to let go a little. Baby Steps, Baby Steps.

7 comments:

  1. That first picture of Jack is so adorable, I can't get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pattern info - that looks like something I can actually whip up in my minimal free time. If a plan ahead for Christmas :)

    And this is a perfect photo of Jack. I look at it, and it tells me that I'm looking at a transition, someone going to school, embarking on something new ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable - I LOVE the picture of him heading off to the wonderful world of preschool. Ditto on Laura's sentiments. It is perfect. Such a big boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sending my little one off to pre-school next week; I need a cute backpack and bento box! Thanks for the comment at my blog...it led me to your!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Jack looks so much older in these last few photos. I have just started to see glimpses of "kid" instead of "baby" in Jillian these last few weeks. Hope his first day of school was swell!

    ReplyDelete
  6. septsue11:05 PM

    that is such a perfect shot - he seems so emboldened and the day seems so full of promise. he's so lucky to have such a crafty and talented mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a great picture of him heading out the door; such a big boy! And what a cute backpack! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?