Friday, August 11, 2006

Inquiring minds


A new bag, which I really, really love. It turned out better than I could have expected, and my photography skills do not do it justice. If anyone wants a link to the tutorial I used let me know. It is based on a bag from a Japanese craft book. (Oh, how I wish I had access to Japanese sewing books!)

And, in honor of the new bag, an answer to the oft asked question, "How do you find the time to make so many things?" (I estimate that the bag took me 2 days or about 6 hours.)

1) I love crafting, I really do. It gives me a lot of joy. I think most of us find the time to do the things we really love. I feel wierd if I am sitting "idle", so, in general I use my idle time. (This is also true for how I manage to decorate the house up for each and every holiday, etc.)

2) I am very lucky that my husband comes home promptly from work every day, and when he does, he takes over for Jack completely. He is home by 5, I have dinner ready to go around 5, we eat as a family, and then Jack is no longer my responsibility. All that is left for me to do is give him a kiss goodnight.

3) For the most part, our house is very organized. Things are easy to clean up, and Jack makes most of his messes in the basement playroom (where I don't have to see them.) We go to bed every night with EVERYTHING in it's place. NO dishes in the sink, no clothes outside of hampers, toys put away, etc. This really only takes me about 30 mins each day. We also really make a habit of cleaning up as we go.

4) We have been living on Rachel Ray's new cookbook, 365 new meals. It cuts my dinner cooking time to roughly 30 minutes every day. (And we are eating lots of yummy food.)

5) Jack is already a very good helper. He throws his trash in the trash can, puts his dishes in the sink when he is done with them, and he helps to clean up his toys. At not even 2, he is pretty tidy. (I think I am just partly lucky in this dept. I have not really done anything to make him this way.)

6) I try to choose small, manageable projects. I am not able to craft at all really when Jack is up and about. (I can do some cutting out and some ironing while he eats lunch, if I am lucky.) My crafting hours are limited to between 6 and 7 pm, and then again from 8 to 10 pm. (I have to stop the sewing machine while Jack is falling asleep between 7 and 8.)

Anyway, there you have it. I suspect that while other people are folding laundry, or reading a book, or playing video games, I am crafting!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I love those bags - I bookmarked a tutorial (probably the same one) weeks ago and have yet to start mine. As always, I am so impressed with your productivity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah-ha! I'm on Madeline duty until eight at night, so that's where the huge difference in our productivity is! Your post makes me wish that the day when my husband gets home at five regularly comes soon!

    The bag is adorable! I never knew that crafting was so popular in Japan ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. I love the bag. I wished I had the time. Oh right - and the ability to sew! Color me jealous! And I can't wait until Katrina gets to the point where she can help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kitty4:06 PM

    Aha! I basically need to stop spending so much time online, then I might actually finish Ellie's Christmas stocking by, oh, I dont know, Christmas? Heh. We'll need to set up some sort of baby-care duty system at some point.

    I love the bag, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love the link to the tutorial :) Your bag turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?