Thursday, September 21, 2006

Bird Brained Ideas


With Halloween coming, I decided I liked owls. Jack has jumped right onto the bandwagon, and couldn't be more thrilled to see owls springing up everywhere around here. These are just a few of the latest additions. The fabric is actually japanese fabric that I stumbled upon this morning at the Round Bobbin Sewing Expo. (My photo doesn't really do it justice.) I wish I had more cash on me, I would have bought more than just the 2 fat quarters of it. I had no idea this thing was in town until I saw a note on a local message board. It was a good thing I went, as I found someone who sells reproduction cotton novelty prints (I will share her info with you when I have it handy), I found a good possible local source for vintage fabrics, AND I learned how to needle felt!!!! I am so excited. I cannot wait to try it. My big fat head also swelled with pride when one of the exhibitors saw my handbag and told me I should be selling them.


This is one of a pair of flour sack towels I made for a secret santa exchange. I am quite pleased with how it turned out, and I have been waiting patiently to share the photos. I really hope she likes it. I used Steam-a-Seam II for the applique, and it was a lot easier to use than the Heat-n-Bond. (Easier because it was easier to embroider through afterwards that is.)

As you can see, we are quite the bird brains around here lately!

5 comments:

  1. I love the bird applique! So you just use a fusible web and iron it on and then do maybe a blanket stitch around?

    Also, any pix of this fab purse you're carrying? :)

    Tell Jack I said Hoot Hoot! I love owls, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it this bag? http://mamanjackjack.blogspot.com/2006/08/inquiring-minds.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is the bag I had with me today. I made another for my mom this week, I will try and get that photo up tomorrow.

    Rebecca, that is exactly what I did. Made a pattern, cut it out, ironed it with a fusible web, then embroidered around the edge. (On the bird I just used a running stitch.) The bird image just came from googling bird clip art, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have told you before that you should sell your bags! Perhaps to me, since I am planning to treat myself to a 30th birthday present. I'll email you when I get a minute...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your floursack towels are great! Thanks for the super sweet comments on my blog, & please enter the contest on my last post if you like to parcels it might be you picked next! Im having a draw, thanks again & its a sweet little blog you have here as well! :)
    ~cheers~
    Angie

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?