Saturday, September 23, 2006

Record keeping and advice please


For our first wedding anniversary, my husband made me a junking journal. The journal was meant to be a place to keep records for our junking trips. I got pregnant about 2 months after we got married, and it languished, forgotten, in a closet. About midway through this summer I pulled it out and put it into action. I found the cute binder at Target, and, of course, he had already printed the pages onto pink paper for me. Each page has a place for the date, the places we went, the people we met, and the things we saw on the front side. The back side is a place to keep a record of what I bought and what I paid for it.

As you can see, I also staple business cards, notes, brochures and fabric swatches in there to help me remember what places are worth revisiting. It is already filling up fast!

Speaking of junking, I had a "first" this morning, and it wasn't a nice first. I had picked up a blanket at a sale, and suddenly a woman comes over to me screaming that I have taken her blanket. I explained to her that when I picked it up, there was no one else within eye sight of me or the blanket, and it was just lying on a table. She had not paid for it yet, so she went got a sale employee who (barely) attempted to mediate. I tried to explain that I did NOT take that blanket out of anyone's pile, that it was lying there for the taking. The other woman became increasingly hostile and agitated, and I was very uncomfortable. In the end, we all agreed that it would be sold to no one, but, the whole thing has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

This is the FIRST time in all my many years of junking that such a thing has happened to me, and I am still unsure if I did the right thing. Maybe I should have just given it to her immediately, but, it is hard to tell what people's motives are. What would you have done?

5 comments:

  1. That's a tough one. My passive-aggressive self would have definitely thrusted the blanket at her insisting that she obviously had to have it more than me, then I would politely leave.
    I would then spend the rest of the day irritated with myself and grouching to my husband...
    Probably not the best solution, but that's my answer :)
    Sorry that happened, I hope that never happens again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did well! I have never been in your position. I have looked through a mountain of books once that someone came running to me saying that they were all hers. I just thought that she was lazy and should carry them then.

    Oh, and once someone stole all of my stuff and the cart. My stuff was buried under her stuff. She insisted that she didn't want my stuff and only the cart. She claimed that she didn't even realize that someone's items where in the cart. I don't know, but I took the cart and my stuff back and told her that the empty carts were up front. (I normally don't use carts, but it was a good day.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you trusted your instincts. If the blanket was there waiting for you to pick it up then it was yours. I had a woman take a dress out of my cart before while I was trying on clothing. I had to nearly wrestle it away from her. I'm a very open and giving person until it comes to thrifting. I like my space and I don't like someone trying to take some of my goods. I think the store did the best thing but only because she was so irrate. That is kind of scary. I love your junk book. I have a book where I keep track of some of my thrifted items but not to the extent of it being a memory book. I love that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The junking book is a GREAT idea, and what a sweet DH you must have to think of giving that to you as a gift! I think the fact that he encourages your hobby like that is even sweeter than the book itself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your site and have enjoyed the last hour watching Jack grow up. It goes so fast. I also love garage and thift saling. At one, I was holding an item when a lady yelled at me that it was hers...The funny thing is that IT WAS MY OWN GARAGE SALE. I was straigtening the tables and KNOW that she hadn't even been near it. I must admit I had a little twinkle of revenge when she realized she had to pay me for it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?