Sunday, October 01, 2006

Crafty Complications


I have a giant sewing to-do list. And, of course, right in the middle of said giant to-do list, I am having issues with all my "tools." Somehow my sewing scissors got knicked, and they will no longer open and close properly. And my sewing machine, oh my sewing machine. I am making my very first quilt, and for some reason whenever I am sewing it starts to get really s-l-o-w after about 15 minutes of sewing. The pessimist in me thinks it is dying. It is only a cheap-o Singer from Wal-mart after all, and certainly not meant for daily use, but still, I love it. It is familiar and I am not ready to let go of it (nor am I ready to spend money on a new machine!) What is on your to-do list these days?

In the meantime I did manage to get the onesie for Jack's birthday party made. Those appliqued onesies come together in less than an hour, including cutting, fusing and hand stitching it on.


I rummaged up this baby quilt on Friday. It is completely not what I would usually be drawn to, but, it called to me. You know how it is.

The yard sale was pretty good. I got a load of fabric, and as soon as there is daylight there are photos to come. I also pre-ordered The Crafter's Companion. I cannot wait for it to arrive!

P.S. Does anyone know of a source for 100% cotton quilt binding? I don't want to make it myself.

3 comments:

  1. I've only seen the poly-satin quilt binding. Ever.

    Hmm ... on my to-do list:
    - make Christmas cards for my homemade card exchange
    - catch up on scrapbooking
    - decoupage my magazine folders
    - make some luggage tags
    - make 2 roman shades (on hiatus until we're living at home again).

    I was going to make gifts for two babies due in November, but without my sewing machine, I've let that idea go and have bought gifts that were handmade by other people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to let you know that you crafty momma have inspired me. I made Christmas stockings for the family a few years ago with the help of a friend. Since then, we've lost touch and my sewing machine has broken after only ever having used it once! But...I'm going to make Katrina's stocking this year. If its any good, I'll post it on the blog. Hopefully I'll get it done before Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom claims making binding is very easy. She says to cut strips of fabric 2 1/2 inches wide by ? long (with the grain), fold in half so it is 1 1/4" wide and iron, attach to the quilt with your cut edges out, fold over and handstitch the folded edge to the back. I might have the width slightly off though. Another thing she says is when sewing the strips to the proper length it is important that that seam be on a 45 diagonal. Not sure if this all makes sense, I haven't tried it myself yet.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?