Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Democracy in action


I never remember seeing my parents vote. I don't even remember someone telling me it was very important to vote. In fact, the first time I voted was when Jack was about 3 weeks old. (And, I had already worked out how to vote in that election if I happened to be in the hospital giving birth, I was that determined to vote.)

I really want Jack to know the importance of participation in government. I hope that he will vote in the very first election he is able to after he turns 18.

And so, to instill in him the importance of civic participation, I take him with me every time I vote. I hope that when he has children of his own he will tell them "I remember going to vote with my mama when I was small."

And I hope by then I will have forgotten how incredibly difficult it is to fill in silly little bubbles with a black marker while a two year old is crying and running wild at my feet. Tell me again, why don't we have those electronic machines yet?

3 comments:

  1. Sadie also came with me to vote and got similar stickers. Instead of a two year running around, I had a two year old crying because only Mommy was allowed to use the black marker and do "colorin' on da votes!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't get any stickers! I thought that would be such a great association for Claire Helen, but I think they ran out early in the day. Oh well, I guess it means great voter turnout, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful that you are taking your son with you to vote -- sweet photo with him and the stickers! and count yourself lucky on not having electronic voting machines --because the electronic voting machines are run by loosely disguised shadows of the republican party.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?