Saturday, January 13, 2007

Up all night

Thank you for all of the thoughts and comments about Jack. After I wrote my entry yesterday, we went for a ride to a thrift store, and wouldn't you know it, he fell asleep in the car at 10 30 am. I realized then that part of the problem is that he is overtired. I think he has been getting out of the firetruck bed in the middle of the night to play/wander his room/turn the lights off and on, and it is making him very grumpy. He is in better spirits today, after much arguing about sleeping.

Speaking of sleeping, we are having really severe ice storms, and we were without power all night last night. Jack was up and down crying, because the power was surging (making his air filter surge), and I was up worrying because trees were falling all around us and it was getting damn cold in the house. As I write this, more is headed our way, and I am hoping we don't lose the power for a long period of time.

Considering all of that, I finished sewing the crib sized duvet above just in time for the cold/no heat issues. I picked up duvet at the thrift on Weds when he was at school, because it had this cover on it:

I loved the print, and figured I would use the fabric to make a pillow for Valentine's Day and just redonate the duvet inside. I got it home, took it apart to wash and discovered that inside was a down duvet from Pottery Barn Kids, and that cover was PBK also. So, I washed it up, and made a cover using a thrifted Land of Nod bedsheet I picked up ages ago.

Speaking of thrifting, I have been going several times a week trying to find something for the Pink & Brown Swap (we still need one more swapper if anyone wants to sneak in at the last minute!). I swear, I am finding everything BUT something for the swap. Above is a great chenille bedspread, below another tablecloth for the ever growing collection.

With that, I am off to take a pill for this headache. Wish us luck riding out the weather.

8 comments:

  1. I thought of you when I heard about the ice storms in the Midwest. Yikes! It's been bitter cold here but at least I don't have to worry about a tree falling on my house or us losing power! Scary.

    Great thrift finds! Is that tablecloth a Wilendur? Love the berries--they look good enough to eat! The duvet turned out great--heck, both the before and after are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that hwo it goes: when you're looking for something, you can't find it, but when you're not looking for it, it lands in your lap. Kind of like life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I need to catch up on your posts, love your Valentines wreath. Sorry Jack is having sleep problems that always makes everyone soo very grumpy, well it used to in my house anyway. And what great thrift finds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you all are doing ok in this bad weather! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor baby Jack,sometimes its so hard being a little one.We even had a small icestorm here that threatened to cancel my last show (it did cancel my rehearsal that same evening). So far no power outages. I hope you guys can stay warm.Love all your goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have great thrift shops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi, Although there are no tags, I do believe it is a Wilendur.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stellameredith12:28 PM

    Sarah, that duvet is precious! What a great idea. I was recently bequeathed a sweet, handmade baby quilt from my grandmother's estate. It is circus-animal themed, and I am trying to find coordinating pieces. I am no good at sewing. I think I will take up thrifting, since you always have such good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?