Saturday, February 17, 2007

Adventures

We set off bright and early this morning, in the midst of snow and wind for a rummage sale and train show. The rummage sale had been canceled, but the thrift stores are never canceled! Jack loved the train show, he was able to sit on the stage and watch the engineers run several O scale trains at once. How funny it was to see all the little boys lined up watching the trains, with one pair of Thomas tennis shoes after another.Lucky for me, there were 3 Goodwills, 2 Salvation Army's and 1 random thrift store along the route. Look at all that yummy fabric I found in one store! That never happens. (Although, they made me pay for it by the yard, which is no big deal, but it took forever to figure out the yardage on each piece in the middle of a Goodwill. That is a silly system. At my local GW, I just pay by the piece.)
When I saw the quilt, I had that urge to flee! quick! before anyone sees what I found. The ladies working there said they have had to "rescue" the quilt many a time, since other workers kept trying to take it off the floor, assuming it was just trash. Trash! Can you believe it! It has a 12 inch tear, but it certainly is not trash. They were so happy it was finding a home. I also found 2 little linens with those Dutch people that I am loving right now, another tablecloth and few California napkins. You might have to enlarge the photo to see the cuteness of those Dutch people.
And woohooo! Lookie there, a Fireking Jadeite mug. My first.

Just for you, Heidi! I did decorate for St. Patty's Day, I just don't do the big feather tree for it. We have leapin' leprechauns all over the place right now. (They are a bit hard to photograph though, due to flash problems and the constant snow.) Ignore that messy mantel, I can't figure out what to do with it lately.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, it sounds like you're having lots of fun! We're learning about rain and chilly gray days here... Tiff isn't sure what to make of all this. Are you still snuggling that shawl I made you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, paying by the yard for fabric at a thrift is totally ridiculous! They are just making way more work for themselves when they institute such a rule. Sheesh.

    Great finds! Love that tablecloth--I have its twin in red on my kitchen table right now! And LUCKY duck on the Jadeite mug! The closest I've ever come to finding any was a chipped plate that I passed up and later regretted. I've read that many Army mess halls used to use Jadeite so I'm holding out hope that someday I'll go to a retired Army veteran's garage sale and find the motherlode. :)

    The shamrock garland is cute! Did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Jadeite mug!!!
    The quilt is such a find! Love it!
    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See!!! I knew as soon as you made the decision ,your shopping basket would be overflowing with Dutch People!!! Thats how it works with thrift stores ,just announce it to the universe first.All the stuff is great! ...and I love getting a peek at your decorating style! it's marvy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool idea to decorate for St Patricks! I love the picture of the little kitty too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the St. Paddy's Day decs! Hey, we must have thrifting karma: I found some Dutch people this weekend too (on an old curtain) and a Fire King mug. I'll try to post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun finds! Love all the fabrics. cherry

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?