Friday, February 23, 2007

All in a day's work

This week has been crazy. I feel like I have been going, going, going, and yet, making no forward progress. Hopefully next week will go more smoothly. A few days ago Jack declared "I wanna watch Arfur all day!" So, today during naptime, I made him some Arthur magnetic paper dolls. The pictures are so dark! The light is wierd here today.
And, I finished the next monthly installment of the napping pillow. I really loved that scrappy bag that Molly Chicken made, so I made a scrappy shamrock. I was totally unsure about how it was going to look while it was happening, but, I am pleased with the final product. Well, the shamrock anyway. I hate the white fabric I sewed it too. It is too transparent (you can see my wrinkled up old feather pillow in there!) and it was too flimsy for my taste.

I think I need a scrappy shamrock tee shirt. So does Jack. And the neighbor, and, and, and...

I am going shopping for a new sewing machine tomorrow. I am terrified. There are too many choices. When I bought the junky old Singer I am using now it was more of a "hey, a sewing machine would be fun" kind of thing. Now that I am sewing on a near daily basis, it feels like the decision is so much bigger. Wish me plenty of luck!

10 comments:

  1. I'll be dying to hear how sewing machine shopping goes, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, a new machine - jealous!
    (i still can't believe you had a squirrel in your couch!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That shamrock is adorable. It would make a great t-shirt.
    I need a new sewing machine, too, but I'm also nervous about buying one. I'm really comfortable with the old one I have, even though it doesn't do any cool stunts like the new fancy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pillow cover looks great Sarah! And I think I'll have to make a scrappy shamrock tee now.

    I've been contemplating a new machine too, but can't quite ditch my old Singer. Here's an article about shopping for a new machine: http://www.mysimon.com/Consumer-Reports-Sewing-Machines/4002-9375-6379930.html
    Good luck with your shopping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hkuwujw
    I went from ancient (but NOT reliable) machine to a new Janome. Cannot believe I struggled along with the old one for 20+ years. The new one is not fancy but does a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Arthur magnets are adorable! Do you mind if I ask how you made them? Love the shamrock too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOO,love the scrappy shamrock! I keep meaning to pick-up a tray for magnetic paper-dolls whilst thrifting,still love that vintage paper-doll link you gave us a while back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shamrock. I agree, it would make a great tee or tote, too.

    I'm excited to hear about the new sewing machine. Are you self-taught? How did you get started? I want to but am nervous about it. DOn't know why. Any books or sites you can recommend?

    Cheers! LA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah, you MUST let me know how you made the shamrock. Pleeaaase?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the shamrock. Did you see Jess' t-shirt? Sooo cute! Good luck with the sewing machine shopping. I desperatly need a new one!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?