Tuesday, March 27, 2007

It's the little things

Currently, it is the smallest of things that are either a) making me crazy or b) making me really happy. Isn't that always the way? A tiny little pincushion for a pin cushion swap? Making me crazy. I have tried 4 different ideas already in an attempt to make one I am truly satisfied with! LOL
Martha Stewart thread eggs. Also making me crazy. These are the only two I have managed to make. There is something about the diminishing diameter of the egg that makes it impossible for me to keep the thread tightly spaced as you near the halfway point of the egg. Of course Martha's minions never mention these things, do they?
Martha Stewart pipe cleaner baskets. Also making me crazy. I made about 6 of them and then quit. The baskets themselves are easy enough to assemble, but I am not crazy about the result. The dyeing part? Forget it. Impossible. At least the way I tried it. I couldn't find RIT dye in the right colors. I tried food coloring (and kool aid), neither of which really stick to the nylon of the pipe cleaner. The pink one is made from purchased pink pipe cleaners, the blue one dyed with food coloring. I tried green also, which for some reason does not stick.at.all.
Making me happy was finding this Teletubbies pillowcase at Goodwill for Jack. Jack loves the "Tellies", and Teletubbies stuff is pretty hard to come by. (And forget about retail, they make nothing Tellies anymore!)
Also making me happy was finding the yard finally covered in tiny little violets. When Jack discovers them he yells out "Purple! Look at all the purple!"

And since Jack was up late and then up very early this morning, I am off to try and nap before the lawn mowers start humming.

12 comments:

  1. I think your eggs look just perfect. So, does that make you one of Martha's minions? I've had my supicions... : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the baskets are darling. I tried one of the baskets, that basket has been on my mind for days, and my basket is crap. I have the small motor skills of a three year old I guess. I didn't finish it even, I thought it looked so bad. I love yours. I didn't even try the eggs.. and I wanted to try the bunnies but just gave up after the basket fiasco. But the whole magazine was like a blast from my Martha Loving Past. Frankie and I both were dying over all the little crafty items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your eggs! They look so sweet- I admire you for actually completing projects from Martha, I am always so intimidated...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah the eggs and baskets are very cute. I just got my MSL and haven't tried any of the projects yet. I think you're very brave doing all the Martha stuff and you do a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sarah, I would not go near those thread eggs for nothing. I so admire you. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it just me, or do the Pom-Pom Rabbits (pg. 173) look like mice?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend Sue cracks me up because she is always saying, "Martha made this in 20 minutes, it took me 4 hours and two trips to Michaels." "Her minions..." So very true! I had a thought about the pipe cleaners, I wonder if they would bleach pretty. I remember all sorts of people bleaching the bottle brush Christmas trees. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The eggs and the baskets look great in the pics(especially like the blue color). Are you going to hang them on a tree?

    I'll keep a look out for tele stuff for Jack :)

    Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the bags and eggs are so cute! I just got my pipe cleaners to start the baskets. I'm getting nervous though, I'm hoping they'll come out ok!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eh Oh Tinky Winky! My girl loved them and we were right at the end of the merchandise era for that show. Her Tinky Winky was the most loved toy up until around age 3. She also had a Po ;) I even made Tubby cupcakes for one birthday.

    I love the rabbit bag with the ear ties. Is Cottontime a Japanese magazine?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a wonderful job on those though!! Martha is such a biosh! I have a love/hate thing with her. She's my hero, but I hate her! I love her. I hate her. She's my homegirl. I hate her. LOL. Get the drift?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was blog-hopping and saw your comment about these baskets on some other site so I thought I'd visit because I just made about 18 of these over the past couple days. Of course, mine are not nearly as elegant as Martha's but I like a gaudy Easter basket (as long as it's filled with candy). I'll be posting my pictures later this weekend once I get them all finished (filled) and ready to ship to my family.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?