Tuesday, March 20, 2007

"Nest"ing

On Page 70 of the April, 2007 issue of Martha Stewart Living is a "good thing" that suggests covering a bowl in double sided tape and then wrapping it with mohair yarn to make a bird's nest. I tried it. It was dismal failure. The yarn would only stick for about 2 circles of the bowl, then it was done.

I loved the idea though, so I made a fabric bowl out of cotton duck, then sewed the mohair yarn to it using a zig sag stitch. I added a little decorative pink bunny stitch to the top edge. (You may have to enlarge the photo to see that stitch.) Quick, easy and highly satisfying. I cannot say the same for the rest of the Martha Stewart projects I have been attempting from that April issue.
And my goofy photography assistants. The cat is sniffing his head. Don't ask me.

Speaking of asking me, several people have emailed to ask how the Huskystar C20 is working out now. I really only have even more good things to say about that machine. Threading is so easy that I am not afraid to switch thread colors on a whim. Using decorative stitches? Couldn't be easier. I love the quilting guide. I love the stay stitch function (which is just one button touch.) It sews through 4 layers of cotton and one layer of batting to make the little quilts like butter.

The biggest difference is how much *more* sewing I am actually able to get done. I can sit down and sew for 5 minutes here or there because the machine is always ready to go and easy to get started on. No fiddling required. And the extra functions do a lot of work that I used to have to do by hand. So, my rating is still an enthusiastic 2 thumbs up.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for being my guinea pig. Though the projects in the April MSL do look intriguing, they smack of "is this really going to work in real life?" Now I know the answer - no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear the sewing machine is to your liking!
    I know I am going to be needing a new machine sometime soon... and am always curious to hear what's out there.
    Thanks and continue to keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get my april MSL to look at all those projects. I must say I am jealous of your new sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, he is such a cutie! And I love the birds nest - good for you for persisting until you made it work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, did your sewing machine do that bunny stitch !! Fantastic. I'd be bunny stitching everything !!! Hee Hee - Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, I think it's great that you took that project and made it work, it turned out lovely.

    Jack is cute as can be!!!

    I really wish I had a sewing machine that works like yours....one day!!

    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bunny stitch!

    Haven't gone looking at machines yet, but I'll definitely be trying out the Huskystar C20. Glad it's working out so well for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. your nest is positively glam! And the bunny stitch is the perfect final touch...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bird's nest is very sweet! As far as those two assistants, they look very unruly:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad to hear about your sewing machine love! I feel the same way about my overlock machine :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bummer that the bowl project didn't work out. I saw it and thought it was really cute too. Hope the pipe cleaner stuff doesn't have the same fate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad to hear the machine is working out so well. That bunny stitch is great.

    I love Martha as eye candy but never can get her stuff to work out for me.

    Cheers! LA

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?