Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Under my nose

I dropped Jack off at school this morning and headed off to the thrift store. I was there a few minutes before they opened, so I decided to see what the fabric store nearby held. I have been looking high and low for some more of the dot fabric I used in the chicken quilt . (I bought some off Ebay that I thought would be close, but the dots are still too big. And I need more of that fabric!)
Just imagine my delight when I discovered a treasure trove of those 1930's reproduction fabrics that I love and adore so much! I almost fell over from the excitement. And how cute is that umbrella fabric?
Speaking of fabric stores, do you sewers out there know that there is trouble in River City? Wal-mart is closing their fabric departments, Hancock Fabrics are closing a large number of their stores, and apparently Hobby Lobby is no longer going to carry fabric either.

Honestly, all of that surprises me because it seems like more women than ever are sewing, but perhaps my vision is a bit skewed. I have no idea how some people are going to buy fabric locally anymore given all the closings...

I am off to start the next napping pillow with some of my new stash!

P.S. If you are a knitter or a crocheter, go see the Vintage Chica and join her Project Hacky !

14 comments:

  1. Those are some great fabrics! You were quite lucky to find them locally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that umbrella fabric! It looks like great lining for a handbag, maybe a tote bag?? Man I want to sew! I won't go on an on here about how I STILL don't have a new sewing machine. GRR

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice score!

    that umbrella one is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice fabric score! I never get lucky like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy fabrics! I was shocked to here that Walmart was deleting their fabric departments too. The woman at mine said we had about 10 months before it's gone. Unfortunately now I just have Joanns which I find overpriced. But on the birght side, maybe walmart will have a huge clearance to get rid of it all and I can stock up on the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo cute! And I am really bitter about all of the stores closing their fabric depts since I am just now getting into sewing! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving that umbrella fabric! It's funny you should mention the Hancock closings, because I found out last week the store that's on my way home from work is closing. I hate it, because if I just need to run in to get one little thing it will have to wait for the weekend when I have time to go "inta town."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea about all those closings! I was under the impression that more people were taking up sewing as a hobby too. I better stop in Walmart soon and get some clearance items.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely fabric, now I feel the urge to go shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our new Walmart sells sewing machines and notions but no fabric. I thought it was a fluke and then heard about them discontinuing it. And I just started sewing as you know. Total bummer!

    Cheers! LA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that umbrella fabric is to die for! Love it! And thank you for the mention. I appreciate it more than you realize.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What? Are all Walmarts doing that? Are all the Hancocks closing too? That makes no sense. There was an article in the paper recently saying more people than ever are sewing due to the popularity and influence of Project Runway. I wonder if we could start a petition? Here in California, the quilt shops are doing very well, but the fabric is obviously more expensive. I actually buy most of my fabric online though, but I want the fabric stores to be successful and to keep the momentum up. I'm stunned to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If all else fails with the Great Fabric Searches, check out keepsakequilting.com. Especially their sale/clearance items. Every now and then they'll have really insanely good deals; the customer service is beyond excellant [think, calling a friend for help]. My favorite thing is the way they wrap the fabric for shipping. And can you tell that I spend way too much time drooling over the catalogues???

    The 30's reproductions are nifty too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?