Sunday, April 01, 2007

Flea Market Sundays

Well, the auction on Friday night was a total bust. It had been billed as a Christmas collectible auction, and there were indeed Christmas collectibles, but nothing I could come close to affording, even if we sold Jack*! There was some sort of frenzy and I thought the pieces were selling well above market value. (Case in point, one of these sold for $925.)

Oh well, it was interesting anyway. I always love the auctions around here, with the men in cowboy boots and hats and their big belt buckles, and everyone is as friendly as can be. It makes me feel like we live in that farmhouse I dream about, even if only for a moment or two.
The flea market was awesome today. Suddenly I seemed to have developed a thing for red ducks. The ones on the little juice glass are just too cute. And the children's hangers! How sweet they are. I left them behind for awhile, then decided I had to have them and went back for them. The little shoes with the tulips in them were hiding in a box of ornaments. I am thinking I need to make them into earrings or a brooch of some sort.
Two sweet aprons. The polka dot one has the BIGGEST rick rack I have ever seen! The print on the white one (which needs a soaking, but see below about the hot water troubles), is tiny roses. My clever husband made me that coat rack, isn't it sweet?
I was really crying in my Cheerios last week because I passed on some ornaments and when I went back for them they were gone.(I don't know what I was thinking really.) Clearly they weren't meant to be, because these are even better. There are some real gems in there plus the violin ornament and the tiny tree topper.
And I finally found some of the Amish pyrex. Butterprint I think Heidi said it is called. Except the white refrigerator dishes don't seem to have the people on them. Nor do they have their lids, but oh well. I love them anyway. (And yes, they are dirty, see below again, lol.)

Everything else has been busy, busy this weekend also. We took Jack to the zoo yesterday, where we had more carousel riding, train going, animal petting fun than should be legal.

And our hot water heater is broken, which means none of us have had access to a shower in a few days. Good times. LOL Oh yea, and the allergies have hit Jack. Hard. Which means loads of toddler mucus and, well, see the hot water heater again about that bathing problem.

Whew. That was a long one. Did you make it all the way to the end?

*Just a joke there, I wouldn't sell Jack for anything.

16 comments:

  1. oh no! no hot water? that's horrible!!! i hope it gets fixed or replaced soon.

    you really scored at the flea market. i can't decide what i like best, the ornaments (the tree topper!), the aprons, the hangers, or the pyrex.

    (and i noticed the rack that aprons were on right away.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom gave me a ton of blue and white Xmas ornaments that belonged to my great grandmother on her side. All glass. It even had a tree topper much like the one you found except much bigger and of course blue and white. I tell my husband that it's a good thing we both graduated from Penn State.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allergies are HORRIBLE in this part of the world. I hope Jack gets to feeling better soon. The flu is going around here as well. Weston spent a day in the ER on iv fluids because the fever dehydrated him. He tested positive for the flu when the dr had thought at first it was just allergies. Since we live in the same area, I thought I would give you a heads up. Hope you guys all stay very well, and I adore those hangers. How precious are they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You really do score at the flea market. I'm always curious what other people pay for things. Do you ever think about sharing prices? (I often forget by the time I sit down to blog about stuff). I'm especially curious about the pyrex. I got some great fabrics this weekend at the thrift store. Will post later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup - made it all the way to end as always. Sorry to hear about the no shower and yucky allergies. I hate allergies and can't wait to stop nursing so that I can go back on my allergy meds. Glad to hear that you scored big at the flea market. I am totally going yard sale shopping once the weather clears up again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the other Heidi, I'm curious about how your flea market finds are priced. Are they comparable to yard sales and thrift stores in your area? There is a flea market here but I've never been. It's only on Wednesdays so maybe I'll pack up the baby this week and we'll go on a field trip! Hope I can find stuff like you always do. Love those ornaments, of course!

    When Maren's being particularly rotten, I say I'm going to sell her to the Gypsies! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful finds! You may have already posted this and I missed it, but how do you clean your vintage linens with spots? I just picked up a few beauties myself, and am wondering how to clean them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can totally relate to the sinus headaches! Me too! Aackkkk! No hot water, hoping that gets taken care of soon. Love those ornaments, but my favorite is the aprons and the hangers...I am soooo into aprons these days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They say Disney World is the happiest place on Earth. I disagree, for me it is a good zoo! Glad the flea market was so successful...may the luck continue to get the water problem fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:53 AM

    WOW! What amajzing flea market finds! It's inspiring me to try the flea market again!

    This is my first visit to your site, and I'm so glad I found it!

    Grace
    UncommonGrace

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fabulous finds! I love the Pyrex!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, LOVE your Pyrex... one of my very favorite patterns!
    Wow! Awesome vintage ornaments!
    I love old wooden child-size hangers too!
    Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. melissa2:13 PM

    lovely finds! i especially like those aprons- oversized rick-rack is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That picture with the pretty aqua coat hangers would make a lovely banner for you, so arty looking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would have wrestled you for those ornaments!! ;) Great finds! And I was thinking about what you said in your next post about not posting the prices that you pay in the thrift, I do that, do you think it's tacky? I was sort of thinking that today but I don't know . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. leslie12:38 PM

    i have that same little blue chicken thingy...pyrex. i just looked at it this morning, love it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?