Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Thrifty Wednesday

I haven't been able to show you much thrifting lately because 1) I haven't been thrifting very much 2) I haven't been very lucky and 3) what I have thrifted is for the Pink & Green swap! Since Jack is at school for a few hours today, I hit the road.

I picked up a pair of these hanging lights. Sure, they are dirty now, but, I am going to clean them up, paint the brassy bits white, and I am positive they will be fantastic! They are heavy, and I think they are fairly old. They are wired with cloth wiring. This one is sitting on a ticking striped sheet I also picked up. I can never have enough sheeting for sewing, and I love, love, love pink and blue ticking patterns.
A very stinky but pretty lavendar quilt. It has a pretty big tear in it (maybe 8 inches long), and I always say I am going to buy them and then cut them up for projects, but I just don't have the heart to do it. All of the quilting and embroidery is hand done, and if it survives the washing machine, it will go in the pie safe with my other quilts.
And an embroidered tablecloth. I don't usually buy the embroidered ones because the printed ones are my passion, but her work is perfect. The back looks as good as the front. I recently saw this bunting on Posy , and maybe those daisy points are destined for some bunting*.

Now if it would just stop raining already. My pictures need the sparkle of the sunshine and so do I!

*If I can find it in me to cut it up. I am really weak about cutting things up. Really weak. LOL It always seems like a waste, but the truth is, it is more wasteful for it to just sit in a drawer.

20 comments:

  1. Yes, those lights will be brilliant (ha ha). I love all lamps and have the worst time trying to resist them at garage sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah, I've been meaning to come over and visit your blog since you visited mine back in January.
    Sorry it's take me so long. I do like to visit those that have take the time to visit me and comment on a post or two. Now suddenly it is April.
    I'll certainly be back to visit again...very soon.
    Love the lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the tablecloth! What a find! My kitchen is done in perriwinkle blue and daisies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love those light fixture Sarah, you find the best stuff !! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one lucky thrifting mama! Great finds! Love all the linens. Even the very stinky quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bunting idea, I have a heap of linnin from my Mother in Law and this seems like a great way to use it.
    Suzie Sews

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a gift for thrifting! I love the linens, such pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in love with that quilt! Either you spend a LOT of time at thrift shops, or yours just have great stuff - you always post fabulous finds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gee! You are so darn lucky with finding linens and such! And I know what you mean about it being hard to cut up quilts, but trust me, once you make the first cut, its easy to move on and you won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty quilt! I have a hard time cutting things up too, but agree that it's more wasteful to have it sitting in a drawer where no one can enjoy it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that bunting idea and I'm so glad you shared it! That sets my wheels turning...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're right it would make a fabulous bunting...be brave and get out those scissors

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the striped fabric/sheet. That would so be a skirt if I got ahold of it.

    Love the quilt and tablecloth too! Such great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow,such beautiful finds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What amazing luck you have thrifting, I have to pay a fortune to ever get anything good :( You could hire yourself out as a personal thrifter :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great finds! I love that ticking sheet. I have a hard time cutting up pretty fabric LOL. Now that you've got me on the rag rug bandwagon, I'm breaking that habit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great find with the lights and the ticking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that lilac embroidered quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those lights are beautiful... I so love the glass balls in those. Great finds!! It must have been Thrifty day all over blog land.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just wanted to drop a line and tell you I love, love, love all your doll quilts! Can't wait to see what you do next.

    Thanks for the comment-- I've been keeping an eye out on ebay. they're selling them cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Somehow I missed this post! I have an actual pillow tick made of that fabric, and a very similar one in pink. I love that light fixture. If you don't get to rewire it right away, you can always remove the electrical parts and pop in a tea light(you'd have to leave the top open). I have a few globes from old fixtures, both from my house and Goodwill, that I have done this with

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?