Thursday, May 31, 2007

Doing

Reading:
After reading the review on Apron Thrift Girl, I had to have a copy of my own. It is an excellent book and a quick read. (I am done with it already.) Added bonus points for making me even more excited about going to the 127 sale in August.

Watching:
Craft in America I missed the first hour of it and I was highly skeptical after the crack vial necklaces , but, it improved (at least for me) after that.

Hystercine Rankin was so inspiring. Her memory quilt was truly amazing. My favorite line of the series came from her, "How far can a needle take you?" Apparently a needle can take you far, Hystercine. All the way to the White House in fact.

Making:
I have been looking high and low for the perfect paper to cover some cheap cardboard magazine files from IKEA. Shortly after Heidi was kind enough to send me a sample of the wallpaper she has, I started finding plenty of possibilities.
I tried several versions, but nothing was really speaking to me. Then yesterday was rainy, so Jack and I went wandering around for a little while and I found this awesome vintage contact paper at a thrift store we rarely visit. It was perfect. I love them. The roses, the polka dots, it almost makes me want to squeeeeeeeee.

In the interest of full disclosure, you can see an abandoned decoupage version on my flickr .

(I think I need a few more links in this post!)

14 comments:

  1. oh sarah! what a great post! i love love love it! the contact paper? what a buy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book looks fantastic and I meant to look for that TV show last night and missed it. Drat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Tivoed American Craft and I can't wait to watch it this weekend. I'm going to check that book out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just checked my pbs (having not heard of the show before) and it's only airing in the middle of the night! and no tivo! and you know i'll forget to tape it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that vintage rose and pokadot paper is to sing for !!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  6. shael2:17 PM

    Sorry Sarah, you've been tagged. The rules are simple: You must list 7 random things about you and then pass it on to 7 other blogs, linking to the blogs in your own blog and also telling them about it on their blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea in covering the IKEA magazine holders!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that paper on the mag holders, what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad my sending it at least gave you good luck in finding some elsewhere. Isn't that weird how you don't find something for months, and then all of a sudden you see tons of it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that paper, so very pretty, must check out flickr

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that contact paper! I'm jealous. Are you really going to that miles and miles long yard sale? One day I want to rent a little tiny motor home and go do that. I'm off to visit your flickr. I didn't know you flickr'd too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed that show, I'll have to look out for it coming around the next time.

    I just got done reading Apron Thrift Girl's review-the book looks like a lot of fun. We should all write a compiliation book of best thrift tips across the country!

    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!! I am going to check out this garage sale book! There are so many nifty things on your beautiful blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah! Love, love what all you have been up to lately...do you still have any of that vintage NAVY fabric? I would love to do a little swaparoo with you for some of it. And did you happen to get a package from me? Just checking in and playing catch up now that things are getting back to somewhat normal.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?