Monday, May 07, 2007

Home again, home again

"To market to market, to buy a fat pig; Home again, home again, jiggety-jig."

My gran to sing that nursery rhyme to me when I was a small child, and now Jack and I sing it together. I was ready to shout it by the time we got home yesterday. We are quite happy to be home, where Jack will actually eat and sleep and play. And where we all feel a little more relaxed in general. And now that I know that Jack really doesn't enjoy travelling, the next time Mama has an itch to wander, Jack can visit with Oma for a little while! (It really is amazing what kids will tell you once they are able to verbalize better.)
Ok, enough of that. Onto the good parts. Most everything you see here was bought at either the Kane County Flea Market or the Rosemont Flea Market. Kane County is always interesting, and there are some very nice things, but the prices are a bit high for my pocketbook, and so I usually end up with only the smallest treasures.

Rosemont on the other hand is what I consider a real flea market. A huge variety of everything with a huge variety of prices. There is real treasure hunting to be done on that parking lot, and every time we have gone there I have filled up my flea market cart to the brim and then some. Those tiny teeny Christmas trees came from there. I am not sure what they were? I think maybe dollhouse trees? They are only about 2 inches tall.
A mix of chandelier crystals, the colored ones are from IKEA, the clear from the flea market. They are going on my May flower tree.
A handful of vintage alphabet blocks. These are so cute. Since they are an incomplete set, I think I am going to use them to decorate a picture frame.
Yards and yards of ribbons from Textile Discount Outlet. This place is really a sight to behold. 3 floors of fabric in a shop that is nearly a city block wide. Jack actually thought this place was heaven, running up and down, picking up buttons off the (very dirty!) floors, yelling "wait for me! wait for me!". Oddly enough, I didn't buy a single piece of fabric in there, just these ribbons. It was a bit overwhelming.

Speaking of overwhelming, I still have things to put away, laundry to do, and I haven't crafted in so long I feel twitchy, so I am off for now.

8 comments:

  1. Great finds! Those little trees are darling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm over the moon for those letters!!

    Glad the trip went well. Can't wait to see your May tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, awesome finds. I wish I could find stuff like that. I love the ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad the trip was successful. And a trip for Jack to Oma's and a trip alone to Chicago for Mama sounds just perfect! :)

    Cheers! LA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those goodies,and can't decide whether I like the little pig cloth or the tiny x-mas trees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about being overwhelmed in fabric shops that have so much! I think it is your minds way of saying "righto, let's stop her from running up a huge credit card bill by not letting her make any decisions! Legs, get us outa here!" that happened to me in Melbourne once, on a business trip, 2 hours from leaving to fly home, I still managed to drag about 10kilos of fabric back to the hotel and overload my suitcase! when you get a minute, stop by my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry we didn't connect. I was busy getting ready for a Cinco de Mayo dinner party on Saturday. (And it didn't help that it looked like rain in the morning). Glad you had a good trip. Maybe we can connect next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the ribbon! I always find that traveling makes me appreciate home an awful lot more...

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?