Friday, May 25, 2007

Lost and Found

I started collecting pyrex dishes when we lived in Florida. They were at every thrift store, flea market and yard sale down there, cheap and plentiful. It was the snowflake pattern that started it. Being in hot, dry (there was a very bad drought the year we moved there) Florida, I longed for the snowflakes of Missouri.

When we moved back to Missouri, I put the collection up in the kitchen and never thought twice about it again. Except when I had to take it all down to wash it. My love for all things ovenware has recently been rekindled and I have added a few extra nice pieces to the collection. (I had planned to photograph the entire collection for you, but it is really rainy today and too dark in the kitchen. That will have to be saved for another day!)

I have wanted one of these egg nog sets forever. They are always way too expensive for my wallet though. Imagine my delight when I picked this one up marked $4 at a yard sale a few weeks ago. Then imagine my delight to discover that everything was 50% off! $2 netted me one bowl and 6 cups. They are not Pyrex, but rather Anchor Hocking or Hazel Atlas, I haven't yet sorted out which.
I also picked up the big hot air balloon cinderella bowl while we were in Chicago. Until I started doing a little research I didn't know that the hot air balloon pattern was only made in 2 pieces of pyrex, a chip and dip set. Good to know, now I won't waste time looking for mixing bowls or something in that pattern.
A recently thrifted snowflake garland custard cup.

Need more Pyrex Love ? How about help with Pattern Identification ? Flickr Pyrex ?

The piece that I am dying to find now is the "Lucky in Love" pattern on the pyrex identification site. Click on the picture even though it says no picture available to see it in all of it's adorable glory!

16 comments:

  1. I love Pyrex, too. You have some pretty pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an the same eggnog bowl and cups from my childhood. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  3. that Lucky in Love is super cute! I've never seen one, but if I ever do you can be sure I'll buy it!

    If your eggnog bowl is marked it should be easy to tell if it is Hazel Atlas or Anchor Hocking. Hazel Atlas is a big H with a smaller A inside the bottom part. Anchor Hocking almost always used an anchor and their full name. It may also be unmarked; I've seen lots of unmarked white glass from no-name companies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it too! But that lucky in love one is the absolute cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i love that. i only have a few pieces. need. more. pyrex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen the Lucky in Love pattern. It is very cute. I have a set of primary colors bowls. I also have a set of Homestead casseroles that I have tried to sell but, haven't :o( They just don't match my colors. Your bowls are cute!wpaiqg

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOH I have a pyrex addiction!!! I have an eggnog bowl I bought like that and I accidentally broke the one cup ! :(

    Thanks for stoppin by the blog My tablecloths are in my basement because I am in a very very small rental with no storage! Bu I do have a dehumidifier

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great pieces!!! Almost too pretty to use :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find Pyrex all the time. However, I pass it up. I am a weirdo. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I collect the aqua Pyrex, but really know nothing about the what's and where's of it all. The one with the shells I've never seen before. What a score!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great links! Thanks for sharing! I thought I was pretty lucky to find a bowl for $4- a whole set for $2-what a score! Things like that just make the hunt so much more fun for all of us. Just knowing that such deals are "out there/"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:19 PM

    Thanks for linking to Pyrex Love and to the Flickr group! Glad you enjoyed our site - nice to see another Pyrex fan out there!

    linda
    www.PyrexLove.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my,the egg-nog set is a Holy-Grail of thrift for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Sarah, I thought I had seen it all, but the "Lucky in Love" pattern is new to me! Thank you sooo much for the heads up! I will for sure be on the look out!
    I am a huge Pyrex collector, but only through thrifting. Thanks for sharing your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. denyse6:00 AM

    Your web site is so informative! I recently purchased the hot air balloon chip and dip set and absolutely love it. It was difficut to find information concerning the date and other pieces made in this pattern and was happy to see the detailed information you had listed. I just wish they had made more pieces in this pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?