Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mirror, Mirror

Much to my surprise, I actually finished TWO projects yesterday. Many moons ago I bought this mirror at a flea market for $3. The frame was interesting, and the mirror was perfectly shabby. The paint however? A horrible brown. All these years I have meant to either try and sand the brown paint off or repaint it, but I never got around to it.

With my brand new sewing room spiffed up (with lots of pink accents), I decided it was time to get it off the floor in there and finally paint it.
So, pink it is! It has gone from being a "so so" mirror to me to "I love it!". You can actually see the flowers on the frame now.

It also illustrates flea marketing tip #1,993, have vision. If someone else had painted the mirror pink the price tag would have been $20 or more (pink is still a hot color at the flea market). Ugly brown? Sure lady, that's yours for $3. So, while my eye is drawn to everything that is already white, pink or aqua and shabby, I try to look at the shape of things, the details, the possibilities, no matter what the current color. If it is a small project, it may be worth buying and doing yourself.

(I say small, because it literally took me 5 years to get around to painting the mirror. And it was a small project. I have to be honest about how much time I have to change things when I buy them. I no longer buy anything that is a massive project because it never gets done.)

11 comments:

  1. fabulous vision sarah! love the frame! would look perfect in my room too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Killer mirror !! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! What did you do to the mirrow portion? love the aged look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mirror looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it and I think your tip is so true! Had the frame been pink to begin with, you'd have paid big bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect! What an easy solution to a not-so-pretty mirror. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey cool! I like that you painted it pink and not white.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well as they say "better late than never" because you sure did a great job with that mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  10. truly a wonderful mirror! love that you can see the details now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great redo! I'm the same way with projects. I've got way too many of those unfinished items sitting around!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?