Monday, May 28, 2007

Patriotic

Ahhh, memorial day. The official arrival of summer. BBQs. Fireworks. Swimming pools. A healthy dose of rememberance and patriotism.

I am a painfully slow paper crafter. I have been working on this banner forever. I used a little bit of everything: Martha Stewart Glitters*, card stock, an old french textbook, vintage crepe paper, rick rack, some of my grandma's costume jewelry. I really wished I had more of the crepe paper, because I really wanted it more ruffly, but what are you gonna do?
As soon as I get the chance I will thread it on some red satin ribbon and get it hung up. Hopefully that will include getting out the rest of my patriotic summer decorations soon. Time seems to be flying past me lately!

*If you are thinking of buying her glitter, I wouldn't bother with the glitter glue. It is hard to spread and the glitter is so fine that the glue has to be really thick to get it to stick well. I also wouldn't bother trying to use the shaker function on the glitter unless you want to drive yourself crazy. I just dump it on there and spoon it back into the container when I am finished. Actually, I am not sure I would buy her glitter again. I really like the glass glitter better, but I didn't have any in the right colors handy.

16 comments:

  1. Sarah, Sarah LOVE your banner !!!!!
    Soo patriotic. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really beautiful, Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE it! Well done.

    Thanks for the tips on the MS glitter, too. I have been tempted but have refrained so far, as I don't like how most of the glitters are mixed. We're spoiled by the glass glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *love* that banner! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your banner is adorable! Thanks for the Martha glitter advice -- I've been wanting to get some 'cause it's really the only kind of glitter I can find except for "kiddie" glitter. Where do you buy your glass glitter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is super cool! i am not all that talented in the paper craft section. props to you girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That banner turned out so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super nice banner-I swear you are the best in the holiday decoration arena!

    Thanks for the heads up on the glitter as well. I think a lot of her merchandise is overpriced. You can usually find better deals elsewhere.

    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finding crepe paper is not easy - Dick Blick has some I think. I started buying the streamers they have and gathering that for trims. It works pretty well and if you gather it very tightly it looks almost old-fashioned. I love your Liberty banner. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing. That is a beautiful banner...well done

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is AWESOME!!! Really, seriously-- how do you do it? You inspire me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. cute Sarah! I had no decorations for my BBQ, so you're my idol!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute banner. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I have only been blogging for a little while and am enjoying meeting new people and being inspired by so much talent everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it!

    I agree about the glitter glue. It isn't worth it at all. I do, however, like the glitter. It has come in very handy with some recent projects. I've never tried glass glitter though.

    Cheers! LA

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! I like the MS glitter but I use the Art Glitter glitter glue. I just can't seem to use the glass glitter I have for a project that I have liked. It's considered "fine grade, too." Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?