Wednesday, June 27, 2007

By the numbers

1 old dresser on the curb (free) + 1 quart of satin finish white paint ($5.46) + 4 pink glass knobs from Ebay ($21.50) + 3 pieces thrifted vintage wallpaper for drawer liners ($0.10) + 1 green medicine cabinet ($2.00) + 1 flea market vintage duvet cover ($5.00) + 2 garage sale pillowcases ($2.00) = 1 fresh and pretty summery bedroom makeover*.
1 small bag of bits and pieces of the best 1930's Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt blocks ($5.00). More photos of the blocks on my flickr. (Link on the sidebar.)
1 work in progress; 12 new flower cut outs.

Plus 1 funny from Jack. He woke up this morning, came out of his bedroom and starting wandering around the house saying, "Hey, where is everybody?" When that yielded no response he started saying, "Hi mom. Hi Dad." LOL I was lying in bed trying not to laugh, waiting for him to come find me.

*People often ask me what I do with all the "stuff" I buy. We really and truly use it. If you have been visiting us here for awhile you will recognize the bed skirt I made in January and the bed sheets I thrifted in that bedroom photo as well. I also make good use of Craigslist and Freecycle when we find new things that we like better than something we already have.

29 comments:

  1. LOVE the look of the total package. And what a great bargain, too!

    The dresser turned out lovely. The pink glass knobs are a perfect touch. And the green medicine cabinet. I can't tell you enough how cool that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' the new summer look! The dresser is great . . . especially the pink glass knobs.

    I'm in the market for some green glass knobs. Know where I can find some?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new look - so fresh. It's just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...wish I could find furniture like that at the curbsides here in Ireland! Everything seems to be either antiques and high priced, or cheap and tacky quality stuff... I miss thrifting and yard sales...sometimes you get some good finds in the charity shops here, but they are tiny compared to the huge shops in the States!

    Great makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely fabulous make-over! You're good, I mean, really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the dresser!! I can't believe it was once sitting at the curb waiting to be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous bedroom! I love the medecine cabinet on top, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Where do you find all those things? My swap partner for tje yellow and orange swap loves vintage but I can't find very much around here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are an amazing thrifter! i want to go shopping with you. do you ever go to sandwich, il?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't ya just love it when it all comes together! The flowers bed-room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The room looks so cozy and homey :)
    So what are you doing with the flower fabric cutouts?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that pretty dresser, especially with the green medicine cabinet. What a great touch!

    I think that you would be a blast to go thrift store shopping with:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! You found a bunch of wonderful goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been enjoying your blog for awhile (i'm a lurker). I just love those flower cutouts. What do you do with them? I'd love to make some but my unimaginative brain doesn't know what to do with them once I've made them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous makeover,I especially like the old dressser!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything looks great! I love the dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a sweet makeover! The dresser looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You definitely are finding some deals, love the knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the bedroom makeover and the jack funny!!! we really do use most of our "stuff" too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous5:59 PM

    GREAT JOB!! So sweet. :-)
    jenduncan(dot typepad dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stefani6:14 AM

    Love all of it! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That room looks really pretty. Great job on a tiny budget.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The whole thing looks so very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your dresser turned out perfect! I knew it would :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. gorgeous! I love the room!

    ReplyDelete
  26. love that math! the dresser turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. heather11:48 AM

    i cannot resist 1930's florals. such a weakness! you makeover is so beautiful too, as is your funny boy! i so love it here...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cute dresser! FOR FREE?! WOWZAS! LUCKY YOU! Reminds me of a free bookcase I picked up this Spring.......same turned legs, etc...I painted it turquoise....it's on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Another thing of beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?