Monday, June 18, 2007

Daddy's Day

This is the first year that Jack has actually understood the concepts of gifts and holidays. When we bought the presents for Father's Day, he totally spilled the beans as soon as Dad came home from work that day. He must have said 20 different times that he "buyed you a shirt today Daddy!"

The photo is a little washed out (it is so humid there that the camera is fogging up outside), but we used Crayola Fabric Crayons to make the shirt. They are easy to use and transfer nicely, but they package should contain a reminder that all writing will be backwards if you don't write the mirror image on the original piece of paper. Jack is so proud of his drawing on Daddy's shirt!

(Edited to add: The fabric crayons don't require using an iron on transfer of any kind. You just color on a piece of paper, put the paper on top of the shirt and iron. The nice thing about that is that the shirt doesn't have that wierd stiffness you get with iron on transfers. Added bonus points for being foolproof as long as you don't scorch the shirt! Iron on transfers are a lot harder to use in my experience.)

Dave is a great father and he and Jack have a very tight relationship. I am so thankful that he does more than his share of the work with Jack. Even if he never trims his fingernails! (Insert the winking emoticon here, LOL.)
Besides, it is one great husband who will leave his father's day grilling on a moment's notice when I yell out the back door, "Dear! Please come get this fantastic piece of furniture out of the neighbor's trash for me!"

I started sanding it today, and with some paint and some glass knobs she is going to be a beauty. (I will be sure to show you the end product!)
I owe a belated thank you to Rebecca and Lucy for the lovely gifts that have arrived in my mail box this past week. Rebecca made me that gorgeous rug above and Lucy sent a box of goodies that have already been put to use in "Operation Clean Up This Mess," a.k.a. do some organizing in my sewing room. Thank you both for making sure I did not go without swap goodies, despite a non-performing partner.

12 comments:

  1. ..lol..on Jack spilling the beans to Daddy, the shirt is precious. I have yet to use transfers on anything, I'm intimidated by the process for some reason. My sons love picking out gifts now, my youngest is really good at it--he really listens to what we say and has his own ideas on what Mom and Dad should get as gifts.

    BTW--you were right about the Dr., he prescribed predisone (sp?) for him and really couldn't tell exactly what his swelling/rash was from but he said his best guess was poison ivy.

    Glad you recieved your packages from Rebecca and I :) The rug is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your neighbors throw away the coolest stuff, I think it is going to turn out fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the rug. What's it made out of? Can't wait to see the refinished furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been looking for a dresser like that ever since I saw in a Country Living yesterday where they painted it and used it as a buffet in the dining room. Yours is perfect for that! Can't wait to see how it turns out--be sure to show us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Max is only just now learning to keep presents a secret. He still has to tell us absolutely every detail he can without spilling the beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a very sweet Father's Day - and I love the shirt!

    Speaking of love.... that *IS* a fantastic piece of furniture; such great lines on it. It's going to clean up so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought those Crayola Fabric Crayons, too, but haven't used them. I think my kids will love it. I might have to add it to my boredom bucket.

    I can't wait to see your buffet (? is that what it is?) You find so many treasures. And good free ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just found you through another blog...so many familiar images of my life! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what an awesome find with that piece! my hutch is finished...should be posting it tomorrow. amazing what a coat of paint can do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been on the lookout for months for a dinning room buffet!

    It's so funny about Jack spilling the beans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun Daddy'd day! Jack is such a card. :)

    So glad you liked the rug! I see that one stubborn piece is still sticking through on the right there LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. melissa4:27 AM

    sounds like a nice father's day. i love the shirt idea! and that is one seriously great dresser. can't wait to see your finished job. why would anyone throw that away?!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?