Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Pillow talk

What should have been a very simple new napping pillow project took me nearly 5 days to finish! First I just wanted to sew a red, white and blue hanky on an old pillow cover and be done with it. But I don't have a hanky like that in the stash. So, I sort of made one with a piece of fabric. Everything was cruising along smoothly until I sewed the darn ruffle on backwards.

Rather than rip the whole thing apart, I thought it would be easier to take the "hanky" off and reattach it on the other side. Wrong. I couldn't machine sew the hanky back on, so I had to sew it on by hand. Ok, not the end of the world. Then I had a different applique in the middle, but after looking at it for a day, I decided I hated it. So, using an image from the 4th of July postcard book , I made an iron on transfer. Of course my printer wouldn't let me mirror image the thing, so the writing was backwards. No problem, forging ahead, must finish this project. Put iron on transfer on a piece of cotton duck. Pillow is already stuffed and assembled, must find way to glue on applique rather than try to sew it on. Heat and bond doesn't work, applique starts to peel apart.

Give up all hope and sew through the cotton duck to attach it. Scream, curse and promise to throw pillow in trash. Bloody fingers sewing through all that fabric. All I can say now is thank goodness it is finished.
While cruising Target yesterday for new shorts for Jack, I spotted this in the kid's section. I was going to make myself a new money pouch of sorts for flea marketing (I seem to lose money if I just stuff it in my pockets), but this is so much easier than trying to make something when I clearly do NOT have my sewing groove on. Besides, it is too cute with the dots!

I bought a new camera last week because my current (much beloved) one is on it's last leg. The new camera is frustrating me to no end. The pictures aren't nearly as good (and it is a lot fancier!) and I hate learning to use something new. I need a welcome to the 21st century pill I think. Do they make those? LOL

14 comments:

  1. I have to say that the pillow looks absolutely fabulous from where I am sitting! I love it. I hope your grandfather is feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute pillow - and i may have to go pick up one of those deery lou pouches! i've been meaning to make one, too - same issues that made me make that yard-sale apron! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hate when projects take on a life of their own. i do think it turned out very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to sew . . . except when the entire universe seems to be conspiring against the project. Seems like that is what was happening to you.
    Love the new money pouch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the pillow is great! The hanky part is awesome, had you not told us that you made it yourself, I wouldn't have known. I actually like the handstiched look too. Maybe it's all for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate problematic crafting. Some days it seems EVERYthing goes wrong. it can be so darn annoying. It's cute, though.

    Love the little bambi pouch. So "dear." hee hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your pillow, I think it turned out fabulous! Although I think we have all been there ready to curse the projject out, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to my world on the camera issue! LOL Despite my new and improved camera and no matter how many times I read the manual, I can't get my indoors pictures to work out. I've tried every setting under the sun and just can not do it.

    Despite your pillow trials, it looks like a great project. Nice job at recovering from your bloopers :)

    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the pillow is just wonderful, you are so talented and I love deery lou!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the pillow is so cool but i feel your pain. no nap will ever be peaceful on that pillow because of the drama it caused. save it for company you don't like..its adorable and they will feel so special. little do they know it was the pillow from hell! just a sugestion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry the pillow cover was such a pain. It came out very cute though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got tickled at the "hate to learn something new" comment. That is so me. I know for everything new I learn, I will forget something reallllly important!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now it is finished do you like it? I think it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought that wallet for my 10 yr old :) too sweet, huh? Maybe I'll 'borrow' it when she tires of it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?