Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Tablecloth Talk

You'll have to excuse the not so terrific photos, it is darn hot and the mosquitos are out in full force. I found this vintage bird tablecloth at the Gypsy Caravan Antique Market that we went to on Memorial Day. I paid more than usually pay for cloths around here, which is usually less than $10 (but keep in mind none of them are ever in perfect condition, and I am ok with that). This was one so unusual there was no way I was leaving it behind. You should be able to click on the photo to better see the birdies.
I think I have over 80 of these beauties by now. Once every 3 days I put a new one out on the kitchen table for us to enjoy. (We remove it when we eat though, I am not *that* crazy!)

I had heard about the Startex star before, but have never found one until I had this tulip cloth on the table last week and there was the star, staring right at me. Pretty cool. Can you see it there? There is added difficulty with the Startex stars since most of the cloths do not have tags on them anymore. Lacking a proper identification book, I have no idea which ones are Startex and which ones were made by other companies.
While cleaning out the garage last week, I found a big box of 1950's magazines I had bought ages ago at the flea market. They are REALLY musty and I need to figure out how to sort that out, because there are so many cool things in them, including ads for Startex towels and Simtex tablecloths.
I have also picked a few of the "novelty" cloths over the past few weeks. I thrifted this one last week, and it was in very sorry condition, but it soaked pretty clean after 3 or 4 spins in the washer. I love that it has been mended several times. Maybe it is wierd to love that it is mended, but to me that says that the woman who owned it before me liked it enough to take the time to fix it instead of just throwing it away. Jack loves that it has trains on it.

On Wednesdays my husband has been going yard saling on his lunch hour, and the week before my birthday he found me a tablecloth! How sweet. I certainly treasure that one.

Because I could never possibly get them all onto the blog, I am trying to get more things onto Flickr. You can see more of the tablecloths and the Good Housekeeping ads in my tablecloth set .

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful collection. Love that one with antique cars. What are you going to do with all of them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that your husband has bought you a cloth as well. Your new one is looks pretty unique I've never seen one like it either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sarah what an amazing collection you have!! I have a few and two from my grandma. But wow you have such an enviable collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 80 tablecloths? Wow, I bow to you! LOL That one with the birdies and the pussy willows is wonderful--I can see why you were willing to pay a little more for it.

    I don't think I have any Startex in my little collection. I'll have to start checking, though. I do have 1 or 2 that have labels but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am always in awe of your linens - so lovely. thanks for the kind words today. i really needed them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful! I only have a few myself. I only have one table and it requires a 102 inch cloth yikes! But I can't pass them up when I'm lucky enough to see them at the thrift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing your new tablecloths when you find them, now I'm delighted to get to see more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beata9:20 PM

    I don't blame you for paying more than usual for the birdie tablecloth -- it's charming! Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowee. That bird one really is unusual...looks to be in great shape, too. What a fine collection you've amassed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you have an extensive (and amazing) collection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love tablecloths, too. Especially in the summertime - don't know why...Sometimes I imagine using them for curtains but never can get the scissors by them!I'll check your flickr out later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the tablecloths.

    I was visiting my in-laws recently and saw a cool vintage tablecloth (that's been in the family) on my MIL's kitchen table. I remarked how I liked it and my grandmother-in-law told my MIL to save it for me. Then a few weeks later I noticed all kinds of food stains on it. I was (and still am) horrified. Uh, hello, that's MY vintage tablecloth you are staining!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, those are so great! I think I'm going to have to start branching out beyond the thrift store to sales and flea markets. Do you have any tips on how to "do" sales? They've always seemed kind of intimidating to me...

    ReplyDelete
  14. These new additions are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your blog and am really enjoying it. Tablecloths are better than jewelry, in my opinion. Ok, maybe not better... but just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are great table cloths! I recently found a couple too. I probably would have passed them up had I not been reading all these great blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?