Sunday, July 01, 2007

Awesome

I picked up a box of these old honeycomb paper decorations at the flea market this morning. I love these things, and I always buy them when I see them if I can afford them. They were so beautiful hanging from our redbud tree that I had a hard time taking them back down. I took a million pictures, and will put a few more on Flickr. (Plus some additional flea market finds, including some really gorgeous old wallpaper.)
I have been picking up these Anchor Hocking Pennsylvania Dutch glassware pieces since sometime this winter when I found the decanter at a thrift store. This morning I found the 4 glasses still in their packaging. But the coolest part was still inside one of the glasses:
Coupons for all of the pieces in this set for 39 cents. (If only I had paid 39 cents for them!) They are dated from the fall of 1959. Apparently they were a gasoline premium. (I love the idea of premiums. I wish we still did that.) Even better news, I have all the pieces advertised now! Awesome.

P.S. Be sure to visit Bruce Littlefield's new blog . He was kind enough to visit here and leave me a comment on my dresser make over, which I thought was pretty awesome.

15 comments:

  1. I love those honey comb decorations. I buy them constantly but have never seen any vintage ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to find the glasses still in their packaging! Are you going to take them out or leave them that way? Hard decision.

    Those honeycomb decorations are great! Love the unusual shapes and color combinations. I bet your trees looked so fun and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I simply adore paper lanterns! Sooo love em! Love the way they look hanging in the trees! I have never seen so many shapes and sizes like you found! What a find Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those decorations look wonderful hanging in that tree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the glassware!! We used to get free stuff like this when buying petrol but not any more. I remember as a teenager that my parents and all my friend's parents had the same glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your honeycomb decorations are AWESOME! I never find vintage ones. I have found a few 4th of July inspired ones but they are never vintage. Wow they are so beautiful hanging in the tree. Put a few white christmas lights in with the mix and you have the makings for a perfect evening party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those old honeycomb decorations and wouldn't have been able to resist either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the honeycomb really pretty
    Suzie Sews

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the decorations! And they do look marvelous in your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are really pretty; I love the chinese paper lanterns. I'm always so scared to put a candle in them though.

    Anyway, too bad those coupons have expired. That would have been a great deal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. great glasses! and those honeycomb decorations are really lovely in your tree. i would have had a hard time taking them down too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those glasses are a delight :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh I adore those honeycomb decorations! They must add some beautiful color to your yard!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the link to Bruce's blog. It will be a fun one to keep check on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the tree pic! What a beautiful place to lay on a quilt and look up into the lantern laden branches.

    Thanks also for the link, what a fun site!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?