Thursday, July 19, 2007

Contemplating

I have a whole crapload of stuff on the old brain today. And none of it is helping me concentrate on blogging. Hopefully I can pull together something coherent here. LOL

In fact, I forget to mention that my blog was featured on Creative Blogs yesterday. Kim comes up with lots of great blogs, be sure to check her out.

I picked up 3 of these super cute prints at the flea market for Jack's room. They were a 1938 Kellog's cereal premium. Aren't they too cute? Framing them is a bit of a nightmare though, since they are a large, odd size. I cannot pass up anything "Jack" though. One of the other ones is "Jack be nimble." (I will try and get a photo of it on Flickr.)
If you enlarge the photo you will see a Jack and Jill ornament in my newest ornament score. Love those too.

Ok, so onto more junking strategies. Strategy number 2:

Venture out of your comfort zone.

We live in suburbia. Brand new homes everywhere, filled with lots of small children and middle class families. Perfectly nice place to live, but yard sales here are filled with used children's clothing, toys, toys and more toys, and home decor items from the mall or Wal-mart. Totally not what I am usually looking for. (Although those yard sales have served a purpose since having Jack!)

St Louis is a relatively huge city though, spread out over a gigantic area. Until about 2 years ago, I knew nothing about St Louis really. Not where this neighborhood or that neighborhood was, not how to get anywhere despite several major highways.

And I spent a few years after we moved back from Florida (where the junking is FABULOUS) whining about how much it sucked here. Really I was just looking in all the wrong places. I had to venture out of my comfort zone here in suburbia to find what I really was looking for. I had to figure out which neighborhoods had the good junk.

I can't provide you with a road map for where you live, but I suggest trying every neighborhood you can comfortably access, no matter what your preconceived notions about that place might be. (And by neighborhood I really might mean city depending on how your municipalities are structured where you live. I don't mean just trying the subdivision next to yours.)

So, wander off the beaten path. Make a trip to a little town you haven't visited before, scour the internet for yard sales or flea markets in those little towns. Going on vacation? Pick up a flea market guide and see what there is where you are visiting. (I don't see the one I have been using on Amazon, but I buy them at either Borders or Barnes & Noble right off the shelf.)

The added bonus to this has been that I *really* know my way around St Louis now and we have discovered all sorts of good stuff I never knew was here before!

12 comments:

  1. You are so on the point with the whole "outside your block" topic. My problem is I hate going alone. Wanna come with me?
    :)
    And I love the picture!!! At first I thought You had scrapped that together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you, even here in a Chicago suburb you have to get out of your comfort zone to find the good stuff. I have been doing this for a couple of years but feel like I am just finding the good areas. I also avoid the sales that advertise all children's clothes and gear and toys. Which is odd since I have a 2 and 3 year old. But they really don't need anything. My 3 year old girl finds things she wants at any garage sale though LOL! You should see her toting around her cute little purse she got at a thrift store!

    I am finding also that you have to get your kids room art at yard sales. It is so darn expensive and I imagine they grow out of it sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, one more thing, during my last yard sale escapade, I discovered TWO Indian restaurants I never knew about (we love Indian food)! Just by venturing into areas I don't normally go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on the mention and link!!
    love the pictures - they'll look great up on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That poster is amazing!!

    And thanks for strategy number 2. It most certainly makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute Jack & Jill ornament! What a find.

    Thanks for more of your tips. I live in an old town and am surrounded by old towns. They have way better stuff then the newer developments, I totally agree. Good for kids' things, not good for mama's things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my garage sale experiences have improved tenfold by just trying out different areas! great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your "Creative Blogs" feature it is well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love that print and the ornaments. I've never seen a Jack & Jill ornament...how cute and doubly so for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw a coffee cup at the thrift yesterday that said "JACK" on it yesterday and I thought of YOUR litle guy!

    When I am looking for sales I always go away from the big city and out into the small towns where the older people live and have cool old vintage items. I went to one sale in a very small older town and picked up a pair of Hawaiian floral paintings - the lady said her husband picked them up in Hawaii when he was in the Navy in the War - WWII! Then she sold them to me for 50¢ which was a total score for me, but how could she let those go????? Sidenote - I sold those paintings for $480.00 on ebay. Yes, yes, yes, go outside your boundries and you will find treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah I feel for you, junking is poopy here too. 10 years ago fab but not now. hey I lived in SL 43 years ago when I was three. I remember a lot of snow !!!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  12. That print is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?