Sunday, July 29, 2007

It must be love

How much do I love these two pieces of pottery? Enough that when I discover I do not have enough money to buy them both, I will hike back to the car, drive to the ATM and go back to the flea market to buy them. (I asked for the best price if I bought them both, buying in bulk in action!)

I spent a lot of time trolling Ebay yesterday looking at pottery. I also went and checked out every book our library had on it. What I have discovered is that the local market for this stuff is pretty expensive. The blue-green one is a Weller piece ($30) and the pink one is a Hull piece ($10). The Hull piece has a piece that was broken off and repaired, but I don't mind that since I am not reselling them.

The other Hull pieces at the flea market are marked at $125 and up. In fact, almost every single piece of art pottery out there starts at about $125. Ouch. That is WAY out of my budget. (And honestly, out of my lifestyle also. I can't spend that on a piece of pottery when I have a small child who is apt to be rowdy and break things.)
Yesterday I managed to acquire this gorgeous pair of candlesticks for 25 cents each. Score! They are marked Metlox on the bottom. My little pottery collection is coming along rather nicely already.

It's nice to have something different to look for. I tend to have a very narrow junking focus in that I go out looking for specific things instead of just wandering around seeing what is out there. My husband on the other hand usually is happy to just see what is out there instead of looking only for specific items. Yesterday he found one of these for $3! Score! for him also.
I also picked up this sweet old paper mache snowman. Someone has poorly glittered him (and there is no getting it off), but I love him anyway.
My love for this old cheater quilt (they are also sometimes called a wholecloth quilt), is crazy. I don't ever really say things are "yummy," but this thing is yummy. Half of it is really damaged, so I will have no guilt about cutting it up to make pillows or something.

Other than that, my grandfather is in failing health, Dave has to go on a business trip and I have a lot on my plate this week, so things may be quiet around here for the next week.

24 comments:

  1. Your grandfather is in my prayers. I hope he returns to good health soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pottery pieces are amazing, no wonder you ran to an ATM, I probably would have too.

    Sorry to hear about your grandfather. It's a terrible feeling when loved-ones are sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really sorry about your grandfather. I hope he is well and perky soon xoxoxo Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning art peices sarah!! prayers going your way for your grandfather as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that glittery snowman!! He's charming, flaws and all.

    Sorry to hear about your grandfather...

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. All great finds!

    Best wishes for your grandfather's health and to you for your busy week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. stefani7:26 PM

    Hoping good things for your grandfather!

    Good finds, and great tips! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You found some wonderful things! I love the little snowman and I agree that the quilt is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pottery and the snowman is charming. I too send you get well wishes for your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hope your grandfather is better! love your new pottery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in love with your blue vase, the snowman and oh wow, the tangine--- you lucky girl! Excellent finds, keep it up!
    ~Hettie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm very jealous of that snowman. Snowmen are one of my favorite things next to monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finds:)

    Sorry to hear about your grandfather...

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and your family are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear about your grandfather's health, and your upcoming rough week... Think happy good thoughts, and I will too (and send them your way...)

    It ought to be easy to think happy thoughts with all your lovely new finds! How can you not smile when you look at them???

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry about your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The vases are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. lucky scores...I especially love the snowman! cherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sending hugs and best wishes for calm and strength in the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That pottery looks so familiar, my grandmother's house is full of treasures. I am headed there this weekend and will be sure to take lot's of pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Take whatever time you need! I am the same way broken and glued back on,its just for me to look at anyway!
    The snowman is adorable even if poorly glued!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You know I'm sending big love for you and your Grandpa. {{HUGS}}

    NO about this $3 tangine, I WANT ONE. I'd love to get that sort of luck. Oh and those candlesticks, too, please.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely love that blue vase, and I would have done the same thing to get it. Snowman looks old and vintage with his glitter issues ... I would leave him just like that. (love your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. My friend, Will, has forbidden me from using the word "yummy" on my blog anymore. It drives him nuts. I guess it is pretty silly, but sometimes it just fits!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?