Friday, July 06, 2007

Patchwork

Many moons ago, I saw a patchwork lampshade at Tree Fall and I fell in love. Since my "I would love to make this" project list is running dry, there was no better time to jump in and make one. Besides, I had the added benefit of having 500 5-inch patchwork squares lying around from the recent fabric swap. What a great way to put them to use!
I googled, I flickr'ed, I even asked Jeeves, but I couldn't really find any suitable directions, so here are a few hints if you want to make your own.

*I used a clearance fabric lampshade. I was going to sew them on, hence the need for a fabric shade, but glue really worked better. I used Aleene's glue for this, but only because I am out of my favorite glue, SoBo. I use a big bottle of that stuff every month lately.
*The squares I wanted to use were already cut with the Olfa pinking blade, so when I cut them into smaller pieces, I used the same blade. I just randomly cut the 5 inch squares into smaller squares and rectangles.
*Before you start gluing, take some time to loosen the top and bottom binding on the lampshade. Again, I had planned on sewing on my own binding, but the existing one worked great with the fabric I was using. When I would glue a square on around the top or bottom, I just tucked it underneath the binding. When all the squares are on you can just reglue the binding.
*Don't use a ton of glue. You don't want it bleed through the fabric or leak out the edges. I applied mine with a paintbrush.
*Take your time getting each and every square nice and flat and tight. It looks better in the end.
I am shamefully late in saying thank you for a few gifts. This GORGEOUS package was from Laurie at Old School Acres . (Photo of Jack in the mask to come tomorrow.)
And this gorgeous pink and green lovely is from Leigh Ann at the The Pink Kitchen . (There was more, but it is already in use!)

Thank you both very much!

P.S. The chenille ornaments on the wire tree this month are from Ebay. They are another crafter's work, not my own! You can find them by searching chenille ornaments. (I hope.)

16 comments:

  1. I love how your lampshade turned out. I am going to have to try that for my bedroom lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lampshade is adorable. I like how it matches your lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lampshade is awesome. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great lampshade! will that adorn your new dresser?

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great lampshade! I am hoping to re-do the pillows on my couch soon and I think I lampshade re-do would be just the thing to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great lampshade! You really did a nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the tip sarah! love the header as well! the lampshade is on my short list right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another ooohh,aaaah for Sarah. I have a fairly plain shade in my bedroom and excess waverly fabric that will be perfect for this project. Thanks again for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your lampshade turned out wonderful! I really like the fabrics that you choose for this project. I haven't had much computer time lately and am amazed at all of your finished projects. I've got to get sewing, I'm a slacker!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the lampshade. Thanks for the tutorial, this is a project that has been on my "list" for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your lampshade and your bunting are both divine! And isn't Jack just a clever boy? I love the owl helmet. :)

    I just bought some lovely fabric and would love your thoughts on a good sewing project for me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW ! -- that's one gorgeous lampshade! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your lampshade!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the lampshade! You did such a great job making it!

    Those packages look lovely. Especially the owl from Lori:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The lampshade looks great! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. your lampshade is lovely! nice job.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?