Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The scissors

Many moons ago I bought a tablecloth that really wanted to be made into bunting. Except there is that issue with me and the scissors. It really hurts me to cut into old linens. I can barely do it. Sometimes I can barely watch some of you do it! Despite this small problem, I have been collecting a pile of embroidered stuff to make an embroidered bunting with.

It required picking up things I almost always pass by, mostly because I never seem to display the embroidered things unless they are the ones my great grandmother made. I finally had a decent sized pile to choose from, and this being a stressful week I really felt the urge to make something. (Does everyone else do that? Whenever times get tough around here I feel the need to create. Anything will do as long as my fingers are busy.)
It's a little bigger than I would have liked, but I let the embroidery guide the size of the triangles. The bluebirds were the main determinate there. I also waffled a bit about the scalloped edges, but did it anyway, even when my husband said to leave them straight. And now that it is done? I love, love, love it. I am looking for the perfect spot for it. You should be able to click the photos to enlarge them, should you wish to do so.

P.S.There have been so many new visitors, lurkers unlurking and so many old friends commenting lately and I want to say thank you. It never fails to make me smile when you stop by here or leave me a note. There have been a few comments I would love to respond to, but I am lacking an email address. If you don't have a blog (I love seeing new blogs!) or a blogger profile for me to visit, you can email me at the link in my own profile, or plop your email address in your comment so I can say hi!

27 comments:

  1. Those turned out completely darling! You're so brave to cut, I don't know if I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I zoomed in, and I do like the scalloped edges! Very nice work.

    I think it's sweet that your husband gives you input on your art pieces (even though you don't always take his advice). My husband does too, and I don't always take his either. haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is stunningly beautiful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, seriously, I want it. Blue is my favorite color and that bunting is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea those were called buntings. I really need to open my mind when saling and thrifting. I see soiled linens and pass them up. Not anymore. I can use parts in my scrapbooks too.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever since you posted the link to that one at Posy I have been wanting to make one of these. I hope mine turns out as gorgeous as yours did! Wow Sarah, great work! I know it killed you to wield the scissors but look at the thing of beauty you created. Maybe next time it will be a little easier. :)

    PS--I like the scallops! Do you have a blade for that or did you do those by hand?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I am always drawn to embroidered handkerchiefs but I never know what to make with them. This is the perfect project - thanks for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i know what you mean about not wanting to cut old linens - i have the same problem. but, look at you! and your bunting! so so pretty, sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bunting is beautiful Sarah! I have a set of triangular patchwork pieces that were supposed to be a handbag, but I wasn't loving the look of them all put together. I think I'll try them as a bunting. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute buntinga! Have a great Fourth.

    Also, thanks for the pink birthday skirt. It arrived a couple weeks ago and fits!! Yay! I love it. And so do the girls. Pink is Lily's favorite color.

    E

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bunting is so sweet! I have been imagining one on my dining room wall, and am keeping my eyes open for fabrics. I would be thrilled if mine mine turned out half as nice as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful bunting Sarah. You are truly brave I do not think I could have done it but it looks smashing xoxox Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my gosh, those are soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful work, simply stunning. Although it might of hurt to cut them up, your're reusing the most special part of the linens and at least they are out in the open for everyone to enjoy.

    I tend to craft and create when I'm stressed--actually, that's when I do the majority of my work!

    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:33 PM

    Perfect!! And now I know *why* I have been buying all those embroidered pieces - knew there was a reason I just didn't actually know it until now. :)

    SusanG

    ReplyDelete
  16. love them!!! i am a firm believer in fabric therapy the more stressed out i am the more i love to create and release that negative energy in a positive way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is beautiful! It must have taken a long time to amass all of those embroidered pieces. I love to collect these too - if I ever have enough I'll make one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Without a doubt, my all-time favorite bunting banner that I have EVER seen out there!
    Sarah, great job! LOVE the scalloped edges... and the pieces you chose are darling, charming... simply enchanting to say the least!
    All to say... gotta make me one now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The bunting is awesome! I'm glad you used the scalloped edges. I thought of you as I cut a table cloth to make a bag. I only cut seriously stained things that have colors that don't go with my house. It is a bit scary though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your bunting. And certainly know what you mean about cutting into handworked items -- isn't it just the hardest thing? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic idea - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the bunting. I can't cut into old vintage linens either. But, this fall, Spenser WILL have a pair of cute chenille pants, courtesy of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. fredsworld10:46 PM

    Wonderful bunting, I know what you mean about cutting linens...still i bet you are glad you did now, great work, great blog, regards Fred from England, awake too early!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE this bunting! It is sooooo sweet! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE your bunting! I know just what you mean about cutting into linens--it is painful! Good for you for putting those beautiful old linens to a new and good use. BTW--the bluebirds one is absolutely adorable!
    Smiles, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. That bunting looks lovely!

    And I totally understand the need to create when stressed. I do this too :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?