Sunday, August 05, 2007

A million miles and a million thank you's

I owe each and everyone of you a huge thank you for your support last week. Things with my grandfather are still dicey and things with my family are still strained, as no one wants to help David and I care for him, but I feel better able to cope with the challenge at the moment.

At the very last minute we were able to swing the trip to the 127 sale. It was so last minute I left without the camera, my hairbrush and all the other things I had planned to bring with us.
It was hot. So, so, so hot. Walking on the face of the sun hot. It actually made spending 2 days (10 hours a day) yard saling not so much fun. It also made it hard to take pictures. The camera would fog up from the humidity, and I had to carry water with me which meant leaving the camera behind a lot.

We did about 250 miles of the sale this time. That's less than we did the first time we went, 4 years ago. The picture above is one of the flea market type stops. The prices were pretty high at those types of stops, but it is where the best stuff was.
This was a big barn sale, complete with donkeys. We also saw pot belly pigs for sale, a horse named Dan who walked on a treadmill to churn the Amish ice cream, and about 300 McCoy Little Red Riding Hood cookie jars.

The verdict this time is mixed. The last time we went, we loved it. This time? Eh. It was fun and the people are very friendly, but the stuff was nothing "unusual." I found plenty of good stuff, don't get me wrong, but, there was nothing there I couldn't find at home given a good yard sale day.
I have taken (not very great) pictures of everything but the fabric type stuff and I will put them all on Flickr. I need to wash the aprons and the linens, but I am tired!

I love these green letters, but boy did it take me forever to try and think of a word I could spell with what few letters were left. Paint is a good word to have though, it suits our house.
I also bought a lot of pottery. My shelf makeover is officially complete.

I did manage to keep track of everything I bought and what I paid for it. (I know you guys always want to know!) I hope I will get that list up early this week, along with more pictures. Now I need to go try and catch up with all of you!

26 comments:

  1. Sorry about your gradfather but I'm glad you were able to give yourself a break even if it was a so-so event. Hope things will get better. Anyway, love your loot! You have such an eye for wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just returned from 127 today as well. The heat was nearly unbearable, wasn't it? It limited us very much. I don't know how many miles we travelled, but we did get some neat stuff.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to make the trip--it was a miserably hot weekend here, too..I can't imagine being outside for 10 hours!

    Congrats on the good finds, can't wait to see all the pics :)

    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic. I am so glad to hear that you went.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy it worked out for you to go! You don't know how many times I thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ((( Sarah ))) I am so sorry. Hang in there. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're feeling more able to cope with everything.

    And I'm so happy you went to the sale. I really wanted to go, but will have to live vicariously through others this time. I'm off to see your flickr photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you got to go but sorry it wasn't as good as expected. I know how tiring it is to yard sale in the heat. Can't wait to see what else you bought! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh - I'm so happy to hear that you were able to make it! Too bad it was so hot, but it seems it didn't stop you from discovering some fabulous finds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I first saw your post last night and was so happy you got to go. I thought of you over the weekend and wondered how things turned out. :)

    Can't wait to see all of your finds...I already LOVE the green letters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just so sorry to hear of this business with your grandfather. I'm very glad you got to go to the sale. At least you could have a small get away. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy that you got to go! Hope all is getting better with your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I know it's difficult to care for an elderly family member. Little things like yardsale trips is what helps us stay normal during the hard times.

    I think it's really interesting that a flea market with donkeys, doesn't allow pets! Maybe the pets would bother the donkeys?

    ReplyDelete
  14. ((HUGS)) to you. I like those letters!! Cant wait to see what else you got!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so pleased to hear that you were able to make - sorry that it was "less than"...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I am so glad that you were able to go! Even if it wasn't as good, at least you got away for a bit. Sorry about your grandfather. I hope things improve soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have always wanted to go to that event but I live too far away to make it. However I am a little glad I missed the heat and humidity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is this the one in KY that they always do a show on on HGTV? Glad you got to go. Can't wait to see your full report!

    ReplyDelete
  19. glad to see you made the sale. still thinking about you guys out in kansas. prayers headed your way along with a squeeze for jack!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You were probably too stressed to enjoy it very much this time. It will be better next time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know, this happens to me all the time. I find a place full of thrifting magic, and when I go back, full of anticipation, it's not all that exciting anymore. The nature of the beast I guess. So glad to hear that you managed to make it. Still wishing you all the best with your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so glad that you were able to get away to the sale. Even if it wasn't as much fun as last time... It has been miserably hot out lately! I can't imagine being outside for that long in this heat!

    Can't wait to see more of the finds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad you're feeling less stressed! I'm sure that the downtime not only helped you, but that it will help encourage more downtime for all of you. I love reading about all the stuff in your life, even the not so fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Paint is better than Pant or Pain. :) But isn't that what you do when you paint? It can be a pain and you can pant trying to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  25. leslie8:27 PM

    love that vase, sorry it was so hot! we are expecting super hot weather this week, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i'm glad you were able to take a break. My mom is going through the same thing with her mother. Her brothers won't help her. Can't wait to see all you got ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?