Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Well then.

I was up all night worrying about my grandpa's surgery. This morning the car wouldn't start, so I was late getting Jack to school, which made me late getting to the hospital. I was sure I had missed my chance to see him before he went to the OR. It turns out I hadn't. The anesthesiologist wouldn't do the surgery because he thinks my grandpa's EKG looks like he has had a heartattack. So, nearly 3 weeks after all of this began, we are still back where we started.
Since I can only clean so much before I go crazy, I went to the thrift store. Thrift therapy. LOL I nearly jumped up and down when I spotted this old crib blanket in the kid's linens. I wish it wasn't sun dappled on my laundry line right now so you could see it without the shade. (You can click to enlarge it.) Somebody put a lot of love into this beauty!
The cats faces and tails are made with a thick flannel, and her stitches are so perfect and tiny that I think there are more than 10 per inch. The book says "big bad dog stories." And their stools and the rug! Oh my, I love it all.
Jack and I managed a little kid crafting this week. I saw the idea to make a message in a bottle in a Family Fun magazine. Jack loves getting mail, so I thought it would fun for Jack to exhange them with other kids. I have a few other things to send to the family of this friend, otherwise we would have just put the address label directly on the bottle. (The magazine estimates the mailing cost to be about $1.50.) Imagine the great party invitations for a pirate party you could make with this idea!

24 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    The thrifts around here never have anything that good! Great find!

    I'm passing along the Nice Matters Award to you. Don't know if anyone has sent it to you before or not, but I enjoy your blog and thought you should have it - especially with all you're going through with Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I think this my be your best find yet Sarah !!!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely adorable blanket! You are so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah!! That quilt is adorabel. I would have been jumping up and down in the aisles too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry things aren't going well for your grandpa. I'm glad you squeezed in some thrifts store therapy because your treasures are so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about the car and the surgery. It took us 2 months to get my grandpa's knee surgery done. It finally happened last week and so far so good.

    I'm glad you were able to squeeze in a little thrift therapy. :) That quilt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thrift finds can always turn a day around but that blanket would turn my month around. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh i hate it when days start like that! but that blanket surely would have gone a long way to making me feel better! hope your grandpa makes some progress soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry about your grandpa - nothing like a change of plans at the last minute.
    The crib sheet is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, sorry to hear about your grandpa. thinking about you!

    love that quilt. great find!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE This blanket. It is so adorable. How could anyone part with that? How lucky were you? I also like your fabric in the last posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forgot to mention your grandfather. I'm so sorry. I hope things get better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sending prayers for your Grandpa! That blanket you found has got to be the sweetest thing I have seen in a long time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry for the setback with your Grandpa. :(

    Thank God for thrift therapy, though, right?! What a lovely blanket!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful find to ease the sting of the day. Perhaps your luck is changing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will continue to think good thoughts for your grandpa.

    That little blanket is so sweet! Anything with embroidered kittens is a winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That blanket is an amazing find!!! I love it!

    Sorry to hear that there were more problems with your Grandpa's situation... Thinking of you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah,
    I love your thrifted treasure. How special is that? I'm so glad it went home with somebody that could truly appreciate it.

    Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I hope he is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this crib quilt! What a great find!! I hope your grandfather feels better... he is in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my gosh sarah, i love love love the crib quilt! Wonderful find! rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  21. I pray things settle down for your family and your Grandpa's health quickly!

    I adore that baby blanket. It's perfect.

    Great idea with the messages in bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry to hear about your grandfather. Hope things turn around soon.

    I am unbelievably jealous of that gorgeous blanket. It is heavenly! You certainly deserve it, though. And if I can't have it, then someone like you should!!!

    Congrats on your award...another well-deserved treat!!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry to hear about your grandpa.

    Thrifting therapy always works. Especially when you find such amazing things ALL THE TIME! How do you do it?

    (I think I just saw some fabric similar to that at Superbuzzy or somewhere with cats reading that book.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a sweet blankie!

    Oh and my cousins sent their wedding invitations in bottles, they had a beach theme wedding. They did use glass bottles and mailed them in small 6 inch mailing tubes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?