Wednesday, September 26, 2007

It's a Jack attack

In the deep dark recesses of my mind I knew that age 3 would be more challenging than age 2. We are still a few weeks away from 3, but Jack is definitely kicking it up a notch around here. Every request is met with "Ugh, fine, whatever you want." Or even worse "I don't want to" or "I don't need to" or "You do it." Apparently he no longer needs to do any of the following: eat, sleep, pick up his toys, follow directions or wear pants! (He said to Dave the other night at bedtime, "My father, I told you I do not need to wear pants!")

And the temper tantrums. Well, oh my is about all I can say about them right now. I really hope this, well, phase, stage, whatever it is passes quickly.
(According to Jack the carrots are the train track and the apples are the train.) Good things have been happening with him too though:
*He is pretty independent (finally!) about putting on his pants and his shoes (no shirts yet).
*He is puzzle crazy right now.
*He is asking more involved questions and recognizing sequential events. "Why are all the 'leebs' falling?" "Autumn is here, all the leaves will fall off the trees by Halloween and then in the winter time it will snow." "It will snow?" "Yes." "And Daddy can play with me in the snow?" (When we have a good snow day Dave works from home so we can all play in the snow together.)
*He is asking me to write the ABCs with him all the time. And still asking to read a million books. I ordered the pre-reading Hooked on Phonics set for him last week, and hopefully that will help me keep him entertained/interested and less frustrated!

I stumbled on an awesome website yesterday My Kid Rocks , and we will be putting her ideas to good use. We used to have a pretty rigid schedule so that Jack always knew what we would be doing and when, but over the summer we have been totally lazy about a schedule. It's definitely time for Jack and I to go back to a schedule of some sort to keep us both moving happily along.

Back tomorrow with Tablecloth Thursday!

15 comments:

  1. As usual, the girls and Jack are on the same course. We've had lots 'tude around here, too. My coping method is signing myself up for yoga!

    He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I totally get what you're going through. Hannah is getting close to 4 and it's still going. Now she also refuses naps most days. I still make her stay on her bed until Luke wakes up. I think the quiet time does us all a little good!
    My kid Rocks is a wonderful website and we use it at our house LOTS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that website! Maren is starting to ask to go to school but she's only 2.5 so I think it's still a little early, plus she's not potty trained yet. I think I can get a lot of good ideas from that website--maybe we need to have a scheduled "school" time here at home.

    People keep scaring me and saying that 3 is worse than 2 in terms of attitude and such. I hope for your sake and my sake that they're all lying. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and BIG LOL on the pants comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought people should have warned me about the terrible threes because two didn't seem al that terrible to me! My son breezed right through being two without much trouble, but three was definitely a challenge. His being six has been pretty breezy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My seven year old who has eaten everything under the sun since birth recently has stopped like most things. She used to love shrimp, ham, avocado and a zillion more foods. Not anymore. She's also into saying "fine" in 14 year old type of tone. Drives me bonkers. It seems like each year comes with challenges and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a cutie that Jack is!

    We went through a lot of the same things at that age. Now, at 5, DS thinks he's the boss. He even tries to send me to bed occasionally! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, good luck to you. I don't have kids yet, but the nieces & nephews all went through that stage. I'm sure it will pass. Besides, it makes a great story. That picture is great by the way, what a handsome little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How handsome he looks! And you can tell him that my husband also tells me he doesn't need to wear pants sometimes LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. He has that "i'm all grown up now" look or is it the "I know you know that I'm cute" look. Sooo adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My that is one handsome almost three year old you've got there. I am gearing up for two, but maybe I should think, two AND three.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah, I feel you on the "3's". I have a 3 1/2 yr old, and also a 6 and 7 yr old, and I've found the 3's to always be worse than those infamous terrible two's. It WILL pass. Right around 4 (sooner or later lol) it will ease up and they start becoming little humans again lol. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh he's too cute. He's gonna be a girl magnet. Watch out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is one artistic carrot apple train set!

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is so cute it is hard to imagine he has a bit of attitude :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?