Thursday, September 06, 2007

Ode to summer

Summer is starting to draw to a close. We've gone swimming for the last time. We've gone to the last carnival.
We've chased fireflies and butterflies and even yucky old houseflies.

We've seen parades and tried cotton candy and eaten funnel cakes.
We've gone on long walks and bike rides and even tried flying a kite.

We've made our own ice cream and had family movie night and went to the movie theater for the first time.
We've gone on big train rides and little train rides and long car rides.

We've collected beetles and grasshoppers and cicada shells by the hand full.
We've been hotter than hot and played hide and seek in the house and hunted for turtles in the woods and oh so much more.

It's been a good summer.

We can't wait for fall. Pumpkin patches (Jack asks me every day when we can go) and Halloween costumes and turning "number free" and gathering acorns and watching the leaves change and our big family camping trip are awaiting us next.

I miss Florida a little, but the seasons in Missouri are grand!

Other bits of news from my world this week:
My grandfather had his surgery this week, it went well, and he is home already. Hopefully this will help him significantly.

My sewing machine is STILL not working.

Jack has been on a dairy free diet for 3 weeks now and for the first time in 2.5 years he is totally OFF his reflux meds. That is a very big deal for us.

We have a playdate tomorrow with an old friend from high school who I have not seen in (eeeekkk) 14 years? We reconnected via this little blog and I can't wait to see her and meet her beautiful kids!

19 comments:

  1. A lovely recap, Sarah. Reminds us all why we should keep journals...otherwise I for one forget all those small but important accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your ode to summer.

    I love connecting with old friends. There is much to be gained by spending time with people who knew you when . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, dairy-free. fun stuff. what are you using as a replacement? we tried everything (except soy - we're kinda anti-soy) and the only one the boys like is called Dari-free. It's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it's been a lovely summer for you and Jack.

    Glad to hear your grandfather is doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. carolyn3:37 PM

    Great summer recap...sounds like fun! There's a prety good new dairy free baking book out by Penny Eisenberg. Funny thing my daughter never liked milk as a young one & I trusted her body to tell her...consistent tummy ache after a glass of milk and now that she's 13 it doesn't seem to be a problem. So I how all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your photos. It certainly does look like it was a fantastic summer!!

    I hope you have fun re-uniting with your friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very fun and eventful summer. May your fall be just as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy that you and Jack had a great summer! Lovely pix, all of them. I am kind of looking forward to ol' Jack Frost nipping at my nose, and autumn leaves falling. I would be lost living somewhere without all the 4 seasons, each one is so wonderful in it's own way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i agree with your sweet little ode 110 percent. as much as i whine about the heat and cold, love the turning of the season in the midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful summer!

    I hope you get your sewing machine working soon! I don't think I could live without mine... (Even though I haven't sewed in like a couple weeks:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome post!

    I'm really glad to hear that your grandfather is recovering and all went well. Very tickled to hear that Jack is off the reflux medications! That's huge!

    But your sewing machine isn't working? That's devastating!

    (I finally used mine again this week - I had to mend a skirt! But I'm drafting a plan to sew something for Madeline for Christmas).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blogs can be so cool,thats wonderful re-connecting like that!
    Great sum up of summer! My littlest learned to swim(completely treading water) A week before our neighborhood pool closed! Such is the way it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really does sound like a lovely summer with your little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You have done so much. No wonder Jack is growing like a weed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you scrapbook the summer? It is always a little sad to see summer end, but the season change is exciting.

    I've answered (sorta) your pottery prices question on my blog today. I think part 2 will come tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you want an absolutely scrumptious recipe for snacking cake that's dairy and egg-free, pm me. There's about a zillion variations on it, and Tiff is all gaga over it. You can't even tell that this cake is so "healthy".

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Jack is off the reflux meds! That is great news.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay for Jack!!! I hope he continues to do well on the new diet!! I WILL send you those lyrics to the song I promised, but there is a line for each letter of the alphabet, so I'm gearing up for the big typing job!! Sorry for the delay!!!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you've had a great summer -- what more is there? ;-) Next summer will be a whole different story with Jack another year older. Glad your Grandfather is doing ok.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?