Thursday, September 13, 2007

Tablecloth Thursday

Until about an hour ago, my mind had been filled with a million different things. The death of that darn pumpkin already, how to deal with Jack's burgeoning 3-year-old attitude, the Husqvarna sewing machine that is less than 6 months old and the parts that Husqvarna apparently can't seem to manufacture to fix it until October, the ton of chemicals I had to load onto the backyard so that we can actually go out the door again, the birthday party invites that need to be made quickly, and on and on and on.

And then I popped onto Katie's blog and suddenly there is nothing more on my mind than her little family and their well being. If you don't already visit Katie, I am sure she could use plenty of extra words of encouragement today. At least we can fill up her blog with love, right?
So, how about them tablecloths? (I am having a hard time finding the heart to talk about my tablecloths now, so please excuse any awkwardness.)

I counted the collection a few weeks ago and I was at 125. (I have added a few since then, of course.) The tablecloth of the week in the kitchen is the autumnal leafy one. I try to change the kitchen tablecloth at least once a week in the hopes of them all getting used in the course of a year. However, I was having the hardest time choosing when I opened those drawers, so now that is Jack's job. He is great at it, and he often picks ones that I was never choosing.
One thing I really love about collecting tablecloths is that no matter how many I seem to amass in those drawers I never seem to find the same pattern twice. (Aside from the strawberry cloth, one of which now resides with Heidi .)

I was SO excited to find this one this week. I almost did that squeal out loud thing. It's a Wilendur cattail pattern. I seem to have very few of the highly recognized Wilendur cloths, so I was thrilled to add this one to the collection. (I don't even have one of the American Beauties that is featured at Hollyhocks today, and that is a pretty common pattern.) If you want to see an interesting Wilendur cloth, do a completed Ebay search for the "Wilendur Indian Corn" and watch your eyes pop out at the price of that beauty!
I also found this one this week, and more squealing ensued. I have been eyeing this pattern on Ebay for quite awhile now. Sweet little farm scenes complete with scarecrows. Perfect for fall.
Getting a good photograph of this Startex teapot cloth is still eluding me. The teapots are very light colored and the tablecloth is a very feminine, shabby beauty.

Now that I have eliminated some of the mosquito problems, I hope to carry on with getting every single tablecloth photographed and up on Flickr. In the meantime, I do have the ones I got photographed this summer up there and I will put some close-ups of today's cloths on there as well.

You can see another Tablecloth Thursday at The Hunt for Vintage . (Her kitchen is so sweet!) If you have posted one of your tablecloths leave me a comment and I will add a link to you as well.

Happy Tablecloth Thursday everyone!

27 comments:

  1. I love your tablecloth collection. I have few vinatge ones. Wish I had started that collection a long time ago. If you could just set a place for me everyday, I will enjoy them via the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great collection - I need to find some of these. Most of the table cloths I have found have been in such poor condition that they aren't worth the bother.

    And I know what you mean - it is hard to think of much of anything but Katie today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What a fabulous collection!!! I had NO IDEA that tableclothes could be so beautiful AND desirable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the top photo with all the tablecloths neatly lined up in the drawer. If that was mine I'd be tempted to open in the drawer just to look at it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tablecloths are so lovely! I never seem to find any around here. I too am stunned by Katie's news. I can't even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing all of the tablecloths! The cattail design is wonderful, and I think it's really sweet that it's Jack's job to choose the one that goes on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow -- what a great tablecloth collection. I think it would be a really fun thing to hunt. And go easy with those mosquitos -- we actually have a guy in our office who was just diagnosed with West Nile. Acckk! We don't want you getting bit because you're taking pictures for us. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that hollyhock one!
    i also visited Katy and sent some love even though I don't know her.
    AMAZING collection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to store your tablecloths & still sew them!!!
    ~cheers~
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, thank you so much for your kind deed! It was wonderful to open my mailbox and see that someone was thinking of me. You are too good.
    Love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! 125 tablecloths! Love the ones you posted here but my fave is the farm one.

    What do you mean, "the death of that darn pumpkin already"? What happened to it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! 125?! You're my hero!

    I will try to dig out some of mine and join in the fun next week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tablecloths are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are killing me, woman! 125+ ?!?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarh you have an AMAZING collection of tablecloths and you should enjoy every single one xoxoxo Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  16. i am having some serious tablecloth envy right about now. too much goodness my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My goodness that's a LOT of tablecloths! I'm sure they're all beautiful and can't wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That little squeal thing you spoke of? I just did it when I saw your drawer full of beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my word! What a feast for the eyes! I never use tablecloths but love to sew with them. Your collection is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's really good we don't live close to each other. We'd be fighting over the same things all the time and trying to beat each other to the sales. LOL

    Do you have any secrets of how to get stains out of the tablecloths or are you lucky enough to find them unstained? I have quite a few, though not even in the same race with 125 and counting, but so many of mine come with big stains. I've "cooked" them with OxyClean. Do you know of a better way?

    Thinking I'll join in the fun next Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. what an amzing amount of clouthes, mmm! I feel justified to go and buy some more...
    SUzie Sews

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH MY GOSH! I'm positively drooling over your collection of table cloths. I have a few, maybe 20-30. I see i have a long way to catch up with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ahhh! I love seeing these photos. I chose to downsize my tablecloths a few months ago... and now I cant remember why. Oh darn, guess I'll have to start buying them up again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, what a collection! How do you store all of those? I think I would have to photography all those if I were you just so I would know what I had! :)

    I read that post by Katie when she first posted it and could hardly believe it. I just wish I lived close so I could help her out in some way...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh how I love vintage (and new) tablecloths! What a collection! I love the way you have them arranged-- so easy to access!

    Thanks for sharing,
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
  26. After looking at all of your tablecloths I wish I hadn't sold a lot of mine:-( I still have a lot but not like YOU, Yours are wonderful!! Thanks for stopping by my blog with the cherry camper!
    Always great to meet someone new!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh 3 year olds... I have one of those! And he is very particular about certain things, has lots of opinions and luckily lots of kisses too. I love all your tablecloths! They are so great. I am amazed like you that I come across so few that are alike. I wonder if that is true across the country? I wonder if that means that most were well loved and used? I'd love to think so...

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?