Thursday, October 11, 2007

4:49 a.m.

Jack woke up at 4:49 this morning. I really could think of better things to be doing at 4:49, like sleeping. When he was born I foolishly thought the sleeplessness of early parenthood wouldn't last very long. I was wrong. He finally fell back asleep at about 6:45, for a mere 30 minutes, but those 30 minutes were wonderful because he was sleeping with me in the flowers bed. We haven't had a little nap together in the flowers bed since he was less than 8 weeks old. Sleep with this kid has *never* come easy, and birthday number free is only a week away. Silly, silly me.

His grandparents mailed him a new pair of sandals this week. The conversation while putting them on went like this:
"They are a little bit small"

"They seem to be the wrong size"

He finally gets them on,

"They are nice, huh?" That kid. LOL
This is the quilt I picked up at a garage sale last weekend. It was wadded up on the floor next to a box that had newer Wal-Mart bedding in it that was marked $10. I calmly (I was so excited really) said, "So, do you want to sell that quilt?" "That thing? Sure, $5."
On the one hand it kills me that so many people place so little value on something that clearly took a long time. This thing is entirely made by hand, every tiny square that she had to cut and every tiny stitch she sewed. On the other hand, I am more than happy to be able to afford them and to keep them from the trash can.

I know someone wanted pictures of the aprons, and I am getting there, they just aren't washed yet and I received a bit of bad news this morning. My first little boyfriend when I was 11 has been a very dear friend for the last 21 years. His family is my "adopted" family, they have been the one constant thing in my life (my own family is a giant dysfunctional mess), and I love them dearly. His grandma, my adopted grandma, passed away on Tuesday. I will always remember her feeding Jack her matzo ball soup during passover in the kitchen and playing with Jack while she and I talked about life. She loved his red hair and she was tickled pink when we were entertaining names like Henry (one of her sons) and Sam (another of her sons) before was born.

Ok, well, I am feeling a little verklempt over the loss of Grandma Mary, so it's off with me for awhile. Love ya Mary.

26 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my adopted Grandmother this past spring. It's hard to loose the family we actually Choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry to hear of the passing of Grandma Mary, but i'm glad you had her in your life.

    (a double-irish chain for $5!!! i guess you can't expect people to value the handmade.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful steal you got for the Irish Chain!

    I'm really sorry to hear about your adopted grandmother, but how lucky to have that family in your life!

    Did you say you are in the St. Louis area? All my mom's family are there...some still in cute little neighborhoods in the city, some in Hazelwood, some in Illinois...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of a grandma. Most of my family is "adopted" as you put it and I think it is the hardest when we loss them.

    On the other hand you had a great woman in your life and memories that you can cherish forever. akesure you keep her alive in heart and mind for years to come.

    The quilt is amazing by the way, this world shows so little appreciation for "hand-me-downs" from one family member to the next. But it's nice I suppose if we can benefit from it and show the unknown creator a little respect by cherishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about Mary but I'm happy to say that it one great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mama Hi Jack,
    I am sorry to hear about Grandma Mary, I know that sometimes the adopted type people in our lives mean as much as the blood relatives. Or more.
    I am delighted at your quilt find. Wow. That was a great buy.
    I wanted you to know I have mentioned you on my blog, Tablecloth Thursday's blog and put up your blog on where to go to get stains out of vintage tableclothes. I love your blog.
    :) Bren

    http://benzy55.typepad.com/my_weblog/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about Grandma Mary. It sounds like you have some great memories of her.

    And what a great find on that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about Grandma Mary, but I'm glad Jack got to meet her.

    Sorry for the early morning wakeup, too. Good thing he's one cute little boy. Can't wait to see the birthday picts. Can't believe he's almost 3. Time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, that quilt is beautiful. What a find!

    Next, I'm so sorry to hear about your dear Grandma. :(

    I offer you all my sympathy over your early early morning and your sleep troubles. Things around here are finally getting back to normal, and not a moment too soon. I wish the same for you! Hope you can catch a nap today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry to hear about Grandma Mary - how lucky that you were to have someone like that in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it really does takw a village to raise a child and I'm sorry for the passing of your "grandma" mary. AND so glad you're able to give that beautiful quilt a home! you lucky duck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a treasure. I'm the same way. I'm always in disbelief that hand-made things are so carelessly tossed aside like that. {And trying to hide my excitement at the steal of a deal because they are.}

    I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It's never easy to lose someone dear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are such a dear, thoughtful soul, Sarah. I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. Wrap that little man in that lovely quilt and lay a while :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. :( I'm sorry about Grandma Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really can't believe you got that quilt for $5. That's amazing.

    I would NEVER be able to find anything that cheap here. Never.

    (And, I'm sorry Jack is not a good sleeper. I guess I have been VERY fortunate. All six are good sleepers.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry for your loss Sarah. I know you'll treasure your memories of her forever.

    The quilt is beautiful and that kid of yours....he is amazing. Just the cutest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to hear about Grandma Mary. Sometimes these not-blood families are as close, or closer, than blood ones.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt. Thank goodness some of us do value them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just live in the wrong place. Whenever I see quilts for sale they are always at least nearly $100.00. So people around here must know and value the work that went into them.

    Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend's grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  20. so sorry to hear about your loss. maybe another nap in the flower bed with a boy who is almost free is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awww, so sorry about Grandma Mary. That's the worst.
    I was a terrible sleeper too, and my mom loves to remind me of this fact. I hate to say it, but i didn't really sleep somewhat normally until well into my 20's. :( Hope it's not the same for Jack.

    Lucky you finding that quilt! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry to hear about the loss of Grandma Mary.

    That quilt is pretty amazing for only $5!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so sorry to hear of your loss, when you feel up to it I gave you an award you can pick up over on my blog
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm sorry about the loss of your Grandma.

    They do say bright kids are the worst sleepers :)

    Amazing $5 quilt. Just unheard of here. I want to live where you do.

    Love the special green elephant quilt. Jack is a lucky little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. sorry to hear of the loss of your grandma mary.

    that quilt is amazing...and hurray for you that everyone doesn't value them so highly. you have got to appreciate an affordable collection!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Deal of the week on that quilt, Sarah.
    So sorry about Grandma Mary. Guess that explains why I didn't hear back on pics of the armoire? I'll be here when you're ready to pick up the conversation again. hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?