Thursday, October 18, 2007

Absolute insanity

Ok, so these are not going to be the most beautiful photos you have ever seen, but if I were busy taking gorgeous photos I would not be busy making an awesome pumpkin party for a certain little boy who is going to be number free tomorrow! Yesterday while Jack was at school I pulled out a few (!!! I know, and I have more, not even counting the back issues in the closet) October magazines and started bookmarking ideas for the party. Nothing like procrastination, eh? And then I got serious about this party business.
This morning Jack and I made caramel apples, which were a little trickier than Country Living would have you believe. I used sticks from the yard a la Martha. Hey, they were handy.
I also made pumpkin party favors, with tissue paper instead of crepe paper, a la Martha. Martha would have you believe these are the easiest craft on earth, and while I have made harder things, as usual her stuff frustrates me to no end. Jack was covering himself in floral tape while I was trying to make them.
We put some cheapo masks on our pumpkins, and it is driving Jack crazy. He does not believe pumpkins should wear masks. The idea was in Country Home (I think) and they had cutesy dime store masks, but, I will take what I can get. Wal-Mart was already emptying the Halloween aisles and replacing them with Christmas stuff last night, so there isn't a lot left to choose from.
Jack and I are dying to eat the apples. All of them. Boy is that homemade caramel delicious.

We are off to make paper mache pumpkins now before Jack is wearing every band-aid in the house (current count = 4). I will be back tomorrow with a birthday post, and hopefully by then we will have figured out what in the heck "the birthday house" that Jack keeps asking to go is?? Apparently it is on the highway somewhere, good luck to me. LOL

P.S. Did I mention that for some reason every time we have a party I feel the need to wash all of the curtains, scrub all the cabinets, clean all the rugs, etc? I will never get all of that done, and I know that I am the only person on earth who would even notice that stuff anyway. Must.learn.to.give.that.up.

22 comments:

  1. Oooh Boy. Happy Day Before Your Birthday, Jack Jack.

    Hope you have a great day tomorrow. Your mom's doing a great job getting ready. Please post lots of pictures!

    I want a caramel apple, too. They look divine. And I can't believe how cute those pumpkin favors are. What's inside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like it's going to be a great party! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post Sarah! All I can think about now is caramel. Yum.
    Did you get the WP pics?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack looks like he is having soo much fun. Happy Birthday Jack. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely must. give. that. up. Those apples look to die for -- carmel apples, the best thing about the season, imho! Could the birthday house be someplace you took him last year? What a cutie that boy is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I freak out when the dryer repair guy/A/C repairman/Roto Rooter Guy is coming - picking up junk, straightening the rooms, vacuuming, etc. Come on - those guys don't notice, but I care! Must give that up too! I really obsess when the family comes over. We are celebrating Saturday with Birthday Number *gulp* twelve here. We are having a Halloween themed party too. I found fun ceramic Jack O Lanterns and will put Happy B-Day party hats on their bumpy orange heads for centerpieces. The kids will lob mini gourds into a bucket for one game and we are going on a Nature Scavneger Hunt. Happy Birfday Number Free Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Number Free Jack!!!

    I love Halloween parties, even better when it's a birthday party! The caramel apples do look delish!! It's hard to resists all the craft/hom magazines this time of year, isn't it?? Always have such cool pics and ideas (unfortunately not as easy as they lead you to believe as you mentioned).

    Have fun at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK & Sarah-- as it's really your birthing day! Tell lots of stories about the day he was born...start the family legends before you forget.
    After years of cleaning up before our caroling party and then having to clean up after the party mess I now tidy before the party and clean afterwards. The tidy (put away piles of papers) is half the battle any way...especially for my husband! Enjoy you day and dip you finger in that caramel for ME!

    ReplyDelete
  9. #Free tomorrow? That's exciting stuff!!

    I had to LOL about Jack not thinking the pumpkins should be wearing masks. That's pretty funny.

    I know a great cure for not washing curtains, rugs, etc., before company ... have six kids. (LOL!) You won't have the energy and you will start thinking that things look pretty good with just a cleaning. :-) I have so lowered my standards just to maintain the little bit of sanity I have left.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok - I am exactly like that, as are MANY women. I get it from my mother. "Your house represents YOU!" Not that this is helping, but...you're in good company. When I was working full time and had a second part time job, I paid a lady to come clean the whole house once a month and I would just maintain it. Believe it or not, I would spend the night before she came to clean - CLEANING! Uh, hello!! Now that is twisted...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your party favors are so cute. Have lots of fun. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your site. Just got my magazine today. Can't wait to get into it. Your things look great. HB Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mom gave me some good advice. Clean up after the party, not before. I always get frustrated that after I spend so much time cleaning people leave it a mess and I have to clean again.

    I agree with Martha projects. Just because she has at a PhD level in the crafting/cooking/gardening fields doesn't mean the rest of us do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with all the last minute details. What a wonderful birthday theme!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww, Happy Happy Birthday Mama and Jack!

    And yeah, no one cares, they will be too distracted by those apples and that gorgeous boy to notice anything else :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those pumpkin favors sure are cute!! I know Jack will have a fabulous birthday, can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Everything looks fantastic. I am like you with pre-party cleaning. We have a party the first week of November, and I started washing walls and doors yesterday. I get myself all stressed out, and it drives my husband CRAZY. He doesn't get it, and I don't get why he doesn't get it...

    Those apples look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday, Jack!

    I can't wait to hear how it went...it all looked fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi,
    I am glad you are having fun planning the party, you have made some good things! It is amazing isnt it when you start a project thay tend to leave out the more tricky points! Have fun

    Priscilla x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aaaaah, yes, I feel the same need to clean before a birthday party. We just had 3 this month (yes, all 3 of my kids are born within 4 weeks), and I am quite exhausted from all the cleaning (not partying).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmmmmm....caramel apples. Yummo! You are one determined gal. Can't believe all that fabulous stuff you do. I too have the urge to clean the house to a sparkle when I have parties. Really, does the driveway need to scrubbed? That's insanity.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?