Sunday, October 07, 2007

Burned out?

For the past two weeks I have had zero interest in going junking. I think the never ending heat has really gone to my head. So when Saturday morning rolled around, I actually had no garage sale route pre-planned (I usually do that on Friday evening), but I knew I really needed a break from "the land of where the wild things are", a.k.a. my house. LOL What else is there to do at 7 am on a Saturday? So off I went.

Every single interstate in the St. Louis area is under massive construction, so getting around is not very easy right now. I went to the first sale and it was a dud. I wasn't able to get to second sale with my Mapquest directions because the high way so closed and I nearly went home right then and there since I wasn't sure I was in the mood anyway.
I am so glad I went on to the second sale. It was one of those sales where I find myself with so much stuff in my arms within the first 5 minutes that my arms are aching and I am cursing myself for not bringing my trust tote bag.

I picked up the Made in Denmark bee above, tablecloths, aprons, gobs of cute vintage seam bindings, a few ornaments, a set of sheets for Jack and more. And pottery too! All of my favorite things in one place. It's funny about the pottery though, because when I set out to have a pottery collection I wanted all white. Then I couldn't find enough all white pottery, so I bought colored stuff too. Lately the white stuff is the only pottery finding it's way to me. It figures, eh?
I kept picking these rolls of vintage nursery fabric up and putting them down. They were calling me, but I had no clue what on earth I was going to do with them, and some of them are HUGE. The third one down is nearly identical to the print on *my* Dandy (security blanket) when I was little. I ended up buying them, because better safe than sorry when it comes to old junk, right? On the way home I had a little spark of inspiration, and now I see baby log cabin quilts and pillows in my future.

After picking up Jack and Dave, we hit a few local garage sales, and had even more luck, finding a gorgeous old quilt, gobs of much needed winter clothing for Jack (Baby Gap jeans for a dollar, wooohooo!), books, puzzles, and learning games too.

The birthday bash was also a lot of fun, Jack discovered T-ball and I discovered he is quite good at it. (We also discovered that Jack was the same size as the 5 year old kids at the party, I forget how tall he is until I see him with kids who will be in Kindergarten soon.) And he has been full of his "Jack-ism's" this morning: "When I was a kid," "This mess is unbelievable," "Those are some lovely flowers, get the camera and take a picture mama," and in bed this morning "Be still mom and dad." That kid cracks me up.

Speaking of which, he will be coming in the door any minute now, I better go sneak a piece of chocolate while I still can!

27 comments:

  1. What awesome luck! Have fun at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a productive day! We celebrated my son Griffin's birthday yesterday! have agreat week.
    Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO glad you went on to garage sales! You did great!! I love that seam binding!!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Bee! A Bee!

    You have such good luck thrifting. I love the pale coloured pottery you get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I have a very similar vase to the tall one on the right that I bought at a garage sale earlier this summer. It's a Haeger--I'd bet yours is too!

    That seam binding is definitely one of those things that if you didn't get it, someday you'd regret it. I can't wait to see what you make with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little things you post about what Jack said, crack me up! :) My favorite is the "when i was a kid". :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful finds Sarah! That bee is great. And Jack is the funniest kid!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been able to go thrifting for the last couple months...I really need to get to a thrift store soon - I miss it! Looks like you made some nice finds, though!

    :) D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder what the fabric was cut like that for? Log cabin quilts and pillows will be perfect!

    Love the first case in the picture, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For being burned out, you sure did get a great load of good "junk"! I've been really scaling back on my junkin' mostly because I don't have space to keep piling it in, so unless I'm going to really use it or give it away--it's gotta stay. :)

    Cute Jackism's! I like, "This mess is unbelievable." :) toooo cute. My lil man likes to say, "Mom, remember a long, long, long time ago....when I was 4???"

    :)

    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  11. some of the best stuff comes whne you are not even looking doesn't it!!! love the pottery my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pottery pieces Sarah! I collect those, too. Hey, I'll trade ya a roll of binding for a roll (or pack, whatever you need) of wallpaper. let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a funny little guy you have! So glad you got the seam binding. I could not have walked away from that! Show us the aprons and tablecloths, please?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ~Junkyard Jennifer1:59 PM

    The "Jack-ism's" make me smile. So cute. And I would've grabbed the vintage nursery seem binding too. You definitely would've regretted passing that one up!

    {And thank you for your kind words on my blog.}

    ReplyDelete
  15. Must have the seam binding. I am so jealous. As soon as I saw them I went baby quilting. I'm so glad you thought of that and got them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ~Jennifer2:00 PM

    oops. S-e-a-m binding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What great luck you've had! And the fun you're going to have now if you get into t-ball with Jack. I loved t-ball -- those little kids are SO cute -- especially the ones in the outfield who are totally oblivious to everything going on except the dandelions under their feet! Can you believe this weather -- we're sweltering here in Indiana too! Oh, and love your little shirts from the last post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh that seam binding is so dang cool. I have never seen anything like that before. As usual you are the queen of thrifting. xoxoxo Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the Jack-isms. Funny kid.

    Great "junking" or treasure hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vicki5:47 PM

    Love the seam binding...might I interest you in a swap for some? Hollyhocks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maybe you could braid those fabric strips and make a rug for baby's room...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh that fabric is darlin' :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! You picked up some great stuff! The bee is fantastic. You definitely have a knack for doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Man oh man, Sarah! Good stuff! Can't wait to see what comes of your fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE those kind of garage sales. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those are great finds, as usual! I've found myself sleeping in on Saturdays, the heat just sucks the fun right out of garage sales. Maybe I'll give it another try next weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow!! yummy,yummy,yummy! I love that bee,and those rolls of nursery fabric! What a great idea to quilt a log cabin pillow out of them!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?