Saturday, October 06, 2007

In a pinch

We are attending a first birthday party this afternoon, and with all of the current concerns over toy recalls (even our carseat was recalled yesterday, sigh), I knew that I really wanted to make the birthday boy something instead of buying something. Since I am in a pinch timewise, I resorted to my default present, appliqued tee shirts.

These are crazy easy to make, and if you haven't done so yet, you should! For the puppy dog I just googled puppy clip art, traced whatever clip art suited my fancy and used that as a pattern.
The whale came from the Martha Stewart nursery decoupage templates , which I love and adore and use for everything under the sun. I like Steam a Seam II to hold them down while I do a very simple running stitch around the edge with embroidery floss.

There is also a mini tutorial at Shim & Sons , which is where I got started when I made my first one. Now go applique something! :-)

13 comments:

  1. Those are crazy cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Girl! You're making me drool over these effing cutecutecute onesies! I just dicovered steam-a-seam 2 and I lovelovelove it!

    Thanks for your comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps! I meant tee-shirts not ONESIES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute and thanks for the comment earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute and great idea. Thanks Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way cute, Sarah. Thanks for the link to the Martha templates! I have 'scouring MSonline for good ideas and patterns' HIGH on the priority list, but it may have taken a while to find these ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute t-shirts! I actually have a t-shirt I bought specifically to put an appliqué on and I haven't gotten around to it yet:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These came out beautifully! I still doubt my appliques would look as nice as yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too cute, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am such a sucker for a decorative onesie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your t-shirts. Absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. adorable!

    do the appliques fray at all?

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?