Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Learning Curve

The quilt for Jack is done, finally! And I even have a little room to spare before his birthday.

Many moons ago we were wandering Goodwill and Jack spotted a curtain panel from the Amy Coe Mod Baby Peanut line at Target. He immediately told me he wanted that "blanket" for his bed. So I picked it up thinking I could just quilt the elephant fabric to the lining and make him a very simple quilt. (The curtain panels are lined with the solid green fabric.)
Of course, I can't ever let anything be that simple, can I? I started scouring Flickr and Google looking for photos of a quilt that were similar to what my brain was already churning for those curtain panels when I saw this quilt . I didn't want to try and deal with the hassle of the uneven strips though, so I made mine straight.
I should have known then that was only the beginning of the choices. How many fabrics to use? How big to make it? How much to quilt it? I originally only quilted where the patchwork seams are, but I decided it wasn't enough for me and went back in to add the stitching across the center of each stripe. It was there that I had the sewing machine problems. I think it was from driving too fast with the walking foot on. Ooopps. I am impatient, what can I say?
It took me hours yesterday to finish sewing on that binding by hand and I thought my fingers might bleed. Yuck.

There is a lot of puckering in several spots on the back, but all in all, I am quite pleased with it. It was a pretty steep learning curve, but I feel ready to tackle the next quilt now!

Ummm, after I make the next 5 projects that are dying to get out of my brain, that is. The sewing machine problems have really put me behind schedule and I have a somewhat silly rule for myself that I cannot start a new project until the current project is finished. Why did I ever make that rule? LOL

(The first picture is before washing. If you click on the photos to enlarge you should be able to see the polka dots on the yellow fabric better.)

35 comments:

  1. What I wonder is how you *stick* to that rule??? I've got about 10 different things going at once. Of course that might be why none of them are near completion...

    I like your version of the stripes better than the pink one you referred to. Yours is more artsy.

    As you saw from my pics, I also have a brown-eyed red head. Aren't they FUN?!

    Molly

    ps, thanks for commenting about the glittery jack, he was fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need that rule. I say I have it, but the truth is I am awful at getting bored and moving on. I always come back around and finish my projects, it's just not in a timely manner.

    The quilt is beautiful by the by. I hate hand stitching so I bow to your superiority in taking on such a task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful. I love the color combination and that green elephant fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is amazing!

    I don't think I'm brave enough to tackle such a huge project! It was totally worth the effort though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first quilt is gorgeous...my first quilts always had those puckers on the back...they still are great quilts though!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out awesome. I loooove it!! I posted the wallpaper for you to see. Come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think it is lovely sarah...nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing! I love it...what an accomplishment. Jack will have it forever. so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I love the colors and the stripes. And seriously, how DO you stick to that rule? You'd hate it my house, there are half done "projiks" all over the place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Josie2:21 PM

    congratulations on a very cute quilt. now about all those other projects.....I know just how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilt looks great. My Mom is a quilter. After each quilt she ays she says they get better. I think they all look good, but what do I know. Have a great week.

    Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you did a fabulous job with your first quilt!! I don't know how you stick to your one "projik" rule either..LOL I wish I had that restraint!

    The little elephants are adorable on the fabric. Jack's going to love his new blankie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sandi Henderson6:06 PM

    I saw the same curtain and debated and debated as to whether or not to get it. I was also intending it for my little boy. I ended up passing on it though-you can imagine how you are making me regret that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute! You're inspiring me. I'm going to do a quilt someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Sarah - Absolutely GORGEOUS!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - that's beautiful! I want one! haha...I just need enough time to make my own now!

    :) D

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is absolutely beautiful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YAY for you!! Great job Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  19. totally awesoem sarah! and i love love love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I picked up this same curtain panel at our Goodwill. I love what you've done with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your quilt turned out lovely. Making quilts is so addicting though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt is beautiful! I love it and I am sure that Jack will too!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You rock, Sarah! This is really gorgeous. Lucky little fella, that Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful!!! Love those colors together... and the little elephants are darling : )

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the quilt, you've created an hierloom there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. love it!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this quilt. It is soo happy. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  28. cute, Cute, CUTE, Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE this quilt! the colors are so fresh and perfect.

    I also love pink chalk studios quilt that you linked. It makes me wish I had a baby girl to snuggle up in it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's beautiful. I love your fabric choices and color theme. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's STUPENDOUS!! Love it! And I'm sure Jack does too. :)

    I'm planning quilts for my two. I think I've finally worked my way up to twin sized quilts.

    I love sewing the back side of the binding. Since I became hooked on hand quilting the tip of my middle finger has become as calloused as the bottom of my foot LOL! It's nice to be past the bleeding finger stage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. That quilt is absolutely amazing! I love the fabrics you used and the pattern to the quilt.

    I have been thinking about making a quilt for awhile now, and after seeing your quilt I feel very inspired to start on one! Soon I think:)

    I could never stick to that rule!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I *love* this quilt! It turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very, very nice Sarah! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  35. beautythatmoves.typepad.com7:11 AM

    oh how beautiful!! what a lucky boy, your talent just amazes me!

    heather

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?