Monday, November 19, 2007

I am a WIP

I was having a conversation with my adopted mom this morning about a project she is working on for Christmas and I mentioned that I had some old tools she could have since I have upgraded a lot of my sewing stuff recently. It occurred to me when I said it that I am actually a pretty serious sewer these days, sewing as much as I can, as often as I can, and tackling bigger and bigger projects.

This is the biggest one yet.

It is this large by accident really. My husband had worked out all the quilt math for me before I started cutting, but I swear he told me I needed to add seam allowances. It turns out he had already added seam allowances, and then I added them in yet again, except I am lazy and so instead of cutting pieces that would have been 13 3/4 inches with 1/4 seam allowances, I rounded all the way up to 14. Ooops.
It also made it a bit tricky to take a picture, as the quilt is more than 6 feet long. (I haven't washed it yet, but it is 75 degrees today and likely to snow by Wednesday, so I figured I had better get out there while I can.)

Planning this one kept me up for a few hours one night. When Dave asked what I was doing up all night I had to answer with "You are going to make fun of me, but I was planning my quilt." I can't help it! It's the only quiet time in this house. And there are so many decisions to make. How many fabrics, which fabrics, what pattern, what binding, what embroidery.
I considered Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings and a few others, but really, don't we all just want Peace on Earth this year (and every year)?

41 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE it!! You did great. I always prefer large quilts over smaller ones. And to answer your question, yes, I would love peace on earth.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabric is wonderful, really fun and colorful. And I love the whole quilt. It looks perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT!

    I can't wait to get started on some holiday crafting (well, stuff I get to keep, I mean lol).

    I think the size is great. :)

    I didn't realize it was so warm outside. That would explain why I'm sweating my butt off in my cozy jammies. (yeah, still in them at 3:30...headed to the shower now lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving it, as I do all of your sewing projects. Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool Sarah -- love that fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, it's beautiful! I LOVE that fabric, and your embroidery looks great. Wonderful! Are you going to hang it or use it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous quilt! And I love the fabric you used, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quilt and the sentiment!
    Perfect for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! That's quite the accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, what a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bigger the better, right?!? Especially when it's so gorgeous. I'm in awe of your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tis a very sweet quilt Sarah. I really like the fabric you're using in the squares.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I've seen that fabric, I really like it! If it snows it looks like you have something wonderful to cuddle in :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It turned out so pretty and I love the fabric you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love the quilt !!!!Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sarah it's gorgeous! I adore that fabric in the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job Sarah-- you too are a quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a super quilt - love the little birds on the fabric.

    Best wishes from grey and rather chilly Liverpool

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Sarah, what a pretty Christmas quilt. :) And the Peace on Earth is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your quilt is gorgeous! I love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fab!!! I think it should be a seasonal comforter for your bed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So gorgeous! Bigger is better no? Will it debut on the "Flowers Bed"?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wanted to wish you Thanksgiving Blessings. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's an amazing quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is beautiful because of the time and talent you put into it. I love it!

    Happy turkey! LA

    We are waiting for that snow here, too. Crazy weather, eh? We were outside in short sleeves yesterday soaking up the last of the warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, still can't get you quilting gals!! Great work.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you!!
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Opps!! I meants to say get OVER you quilting gals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh I love this quilt! The "Peace on Earth" is absolutely perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. looks great - love the fabrics you chose!

    i want to make a quilt i can use in the living room, but im starting w/ that baby quilt kit and working my way up like you...except you're much, much, much further along!

    :) D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great looking quilt. And a great blog too. Thanks for stopping by my blog site and leaving the 'pickle' comment. I've added you to my blogroll. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Danielle7:45 PM

    I just found your blog. That quilt is so beautiful! I am a novice to sewing, but will tackle my learning this coming year. Hopefully I'll be making lovely quilts like you! peace, danielle

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, Sarah! It's gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous. Wow, you've become quite the quilter in the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy Thanksgiving!! I am thankful for your blog, it is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    Lovelovelove your Holiday quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOVE the quilt. you did an awesome job in it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love that fabric you used for the squares and the quilt is really just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great quilt! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love this! I had that fabric in my hands last year and somehow I put the bolt back (had my hands full of blots). Seeing this I'm crushing a soda can into my forehead!

    I just love this Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?