Monday, November 26, 2007

Making a list

Apparently I can get a lot done with my husband here in the house for 5 days. We sat down and made our Christmas gifting list and I set to work getting the projects done. I had been holding off on taking pictures of this sweet little smock hoping for some sunshine, but it doesn't look like any of that is in the near future, so here we are. (Click on the photos to enlarge them, it makes up a little for the lack of natural light.)

I used Alicia's smocket pattern for the body and some fabric that has been in my stash since I made the Fresh Tradition Doll Quilt .
I have to admit it is a lot sweeter than I expected it to be. I added buttons at the shoulders, I didn't think tying the ends together looked like it would be too comfortable on a Half Pint's shoulders. (And it took me an hour to work out how to use the fancy pants buttonhole foot on the Huskystar. It nearly beat me, but I won in the end.)
The elephant was a pattern in an old stack of Work Basket magazines I picked up sometime last summer. Since I didn't want to use the pattern up completely by ironing it on, I just put the fabric and the pattern on the window and traced it onto my fabric using one of those disappearing fabric ink pens.

That dotty elephant is after my heart. I am coming around to embroidery I think. (Why did I dislike it before?)

I added the pocket before sewing the pieces together (this is contrary to her directions), so that it is still reversible. If you add the pocket last, you would have pocket stitching visible on the reverse side.

Well, I am off to tend to Jack again. He is apparently never going to take a nap today. He also never wants to wear pants again, just in case you were dying to know. LOL

14 comments:

  1. Hmmm. No pants? That will make him popular when he's older LOL! Adorable smocket -- love the little elephant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that boy cracks me up!

    The smocket is adorable, especially the dotty elephant!

    (I dislike embroidery because I'm horrible at it. Or is it the other way around?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous smock. I have been catching on my reading. I adore the candy canes you made from the buttons. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer5:11 PM

    I taught for 8 years before I became a stay at home mom. Two of those were at the elementary level. ALL of my Kindergarten students came to school (and art class) in pants or a skirt of some sort.

    And my Grandmother-in-law has always said not to worry about anything that you don't see a Kindergartener doing. I've found it to be very sage advice.

    Napping is an issue at our house right now too. At least you have company!;)

    And I still swear that it's something in the Midwest wind or water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute smocket. I love the elephant.

    Jack still takes naps? Wow. Spenser stopped months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That smock is darling. Someday, I'm going to make some for my kids.

    I love doing embroidery. It's such a pretty thing and, to me, I find it so relaxing. {Although, I have to admit, I haven't picked it up for quite some time.}

    Nikayda napped until she was over four. Abram stopped sometime after 2. Although, will occasionally take them.

    I found out that in my family, the kids were nappers and in Mark's family they weren't. Some kids do and some don't. But sometimes they just go through little phases of not napping too. Hopefully, it's only a phase! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That smocket is adorable! (One of these days I am going to figure out how in the world to enlarge that pattern to my size!:) I love the embroidered elephant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sweet smock there Sarah. btw, I can't keep my 2yo granddaughter dressed most days either. They're just born heathens I guess...til we start fillin' 'em up with all the s'posed-to's and shouldn't's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The smocket is so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the sweet smocket :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. As my daughter would say "Why her make me so jealous?" Not only did you get your hubby home for five days, you have been whipping out craft after craft. I love the smocket. I printed it out to sew this past summer and it's just been sitting ever since. That elephant is too cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's adorable! And I think that elephant is after my heart, too. :) I've been cross stitching again lately and remember why I love it so. Now if only my embroidery were better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute, cute! Love the elephant.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?