Friday, November 09, 2007

A blessing in disguise


Thank you to everyone for sharing your thoughts on babies who leave the nest. As it turns out today started out horribly, with me not feeling very well and Jack feeling extremely uncooperative about everything from breakfast to his pants (again with the pants, lol.) So, when 9 am rolled around I was more than ready for him to go to school again.

And much to my surprise, a second day a week with him at school has been wonderful. Unlike Wednesdays where I feel so rushed to squeeze in everything I could possibly want to/need to do while he is gone, today I was able to just do nothing. Watch talk shows, do a little crafting, run a leisurely errand. Ahhhhh, bliss.

I used my time to make us a quick little advent calendar. I just covered tiny matchboxes with leftover scrapbook paper from last Christmas, added a bit of Target gift wrapping tinsel and a metal rimmed tag (they were leftover from our wedding 4 years ago). I would have preferred some sort of preprinted stickers for numbers, but I couldn't find anything, and hey, my own handwriting is free.
Need more advent inspiration? I liked this one , this one , this one , and this one , which was the winner.

Now I just need to find a pretty jar at the thrift to pile them into.

19 comments:

  1. I love it! And your handwriting looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love it! It's nice to visit you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! I love it.

    (wishing I had more matchbooks...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Work Sarah! Thanks for the links, I enjoyed looking through them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! Will you be putting anything in the boxes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those and love the link to the ones in the jar! I've always wanted an Advent calendar like the one on Christmas Vacation, but I really do like these and so easy! That just might be a Christmas project for me this year. Hmmmm.... Wonder if that estate sale tomorrow will have match boxes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that! I've been thinking about making a advent calendar too. What are you going to put in the boxes- or are you going to leave them empty?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great little project! This will be so great to pass the days before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a novel way to use match boxes! And your handwriting is nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad things are adjusting well with Jack. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that your boxes fit perfectly into the shape of a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great ideas! Thanks for the reminder to get crackin' on this kind of stuff ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea Sarah! I thrifted an Advent calendar last year, but I'm thinking a handmade one would be nicer. We'll see if I can squeeze it in before December 1st!

    Glad you had some enjoyable Jack-free time today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE that! Brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I looove it! I definitely need to make an advent calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  16. gorgeous! So glad that you got to have a day to just veg and craft. Sometimes that is SO necessary to the mental health of a mama!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?