Sunday, December 09, 2007

A mama's heart

We've been taking Jack to see the same mall Santa since he was 2 months old, but this year, well, this year was totally different than the last 3 years. Previously we waited in line (sometimes for hours), had our turn, took a quick photo and off we went. When we went on Friday afternoon, there was no line, and Jack was clutching his little wish list stocking he had made in school that day.

This year he understands Santa Claus. He climbed up on Santa's lap and they had a good long chat about what he would like for Christmas. They shared the pictures on his little stocking, and just watching him melted my mama heart. I had to choke back tears in the middle of the mall.
As we were standing in line forking over our $20* for his photo, I caught a glimpse of this photo on the monitor. The one they printed was the standard smile at the camera Jack photo, but this one, well, I could not leave it behind. For me, all the sweetness of kids and Christmas and Santa Claus is in that photo.

I will cherish it forever.

* It took awhile to sort out with them how to get the photo I really wanted, since they have a million crazy regulations about how many photos you must purchase and so forth. In the end I had to pay them an additional $10 to put this one onto a CD. We made a conscious decision when Jack was only a year old to try and visit the same Santa every year, so there would be some continuity to the Santa he saw. That means we end up not doing any of the "free" events, and it bugs me a little that they are so tight fisted about the darn photos. End of rant about that. LOL

26 comments:

  1. What a sweet photo of Jack with Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an absolutely heartwarming photo!! One to cherish for years and years. I have one like that of my youngest boy and to this day I still get tears in my eyes every time I look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just a precious, precious photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Memories are made of these. For sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOHHHH. That melts my grandma heart as well. Yep, had to have that one, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously the sweetest little photo. So sweet to have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. M&Co- http://mandco.typepad.com/m_co/1:18 PM

    What a cute photo! Your son looks absolutley adorable sitting there on Santas lap :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok, so I got a little choked up too! That inocent face! I still proudly display my cheesey Santa mall pictures on the mantel every year. I really do treasure them...(my babies are now 23, 22 and 14!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a cute photo. Griffin changes his mind from things he wants from Santa. Since the presents are bought, we have resorted to telling Grif that Santa has a deadline. So I think he has firmed up his decision:)
    Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a precious picture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the sweetest picture. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one amazing kid! He looks so sweet sitting with Santa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That would have been my picture pick too. Such a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jennifer10:40 AM

    That picture rocks! So sweet...

    We're considering skipping Santa altogether this year. G will just scream anyway. And it's SO expensive. Plus, I've been spoiled by my photographer husband, so I'd never be happy with the pictures that the mall people take...

    I wish we had a relative who could dress up and come to the house. Then if he screamed the whole time I wouldn't feel like I paid some guy in a santa suit I don't even know $30 to torture my innocent little kid...

    Anyway, enjoy the photo, and the fact that Jack finally gets Santa.
    Jennifer
    www.whatididatschooltoday.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a perfect photo! You're right, that about sums up kids and Chritmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. that is so sweet, and it even looks like santa! I always took mine to the same santa too, because this guy really looked liked santa clause ;) rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jack looks so sweet in that picture! It melted my heart too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sweet. Makes me wish I were little enough to believe again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Sarah -- that's the cutest photo ever! When I was a freshman in college, my roommate brought her family's Christmas book to show me. Her mother had taken the kids every year to see Santa and it was so fun to look at that book from the first picture with one tiny baby all the way to the end, with five big adults heads around Santa's head. I tried to do the same with my boys. Sadly I missed a year or two and boy, was it ever hard to get them to go when they were in the years around 15. Did Jack go through the "afraid of Santa" stage at around 2 years? We have pics of both my boys crying on Santa's lap at that age. You're so smart to get that picture -- what great memories that will make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh that is such a cute photo.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  22. That picture was worth every penny in my book...what a sweet child!

    Linda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a sweet picture.

    Have you ever asked the mall people if you can take your own? We were at a mall one time (not visiting santa, but watching others) and someone asked if they could take their own. The lady smiled and said, 'Of course!' And as they were talking, she explained that they can't 'make' anyone buy them, and people are always welcome to take their own. I'm curious if it's like that everywhere, or just that particular mall... {It'd make sense. They take pictures for promotional reasons, but maybe you *can* take your own as well...} Worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is a sweet photo. (Some places let you take your own photo.)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ok, I'll admit it. I cried, too. What a sweet, sweet story. I am so glad you got the picture. It is worth a thousand and one words.

    Cheers! LA

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awwwwww..... we haven't taken our kids to see Santa EVER!!! I guess that makes us bad parents. I love that photo... I'm glad you forked over the extra cash for it. It's the best I bet. I'm choking back tears here... and wanting to take the kids now.... Em

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?