Saturday, December 29, 2007

A semi-handmade holiday, part two

The exhaustive list of handmade gift ideas during November and December at the Sew Mama Sew Blog is awesome. When I was desperately searching for more gift ideas for Dave, I found several goods ideas there.

I made the CD Poket [sic] with some musical monkey fabric I had stashed in my cabinet.
I also made him a Box bag , which I am quite proud of. It's my very first zipper! (And made with a tutorial that doesn't have the clearest directions on inserting the second side of the zipper.)

Since I lack a lot of "manly" fabric in my stash, I cut up two of his old dress shirts that were in the donation bag to make it.

Things have been just plain weird around here the past two days. Jack has a little head cold that has turned into 2 am coughing fits. Yesterday that meant I was awake from 2 am until 6 am because I could not fall back asleep for anything. Last night I managed to fall back asleep after only an hour or so, but when I heard Jack playing at 5:55 I thought for sure we were all doomed. Imagine my surprise when his alarm went off at 7:45 and no Jack appeared. When I rolled over again and told David it was 9 am and Jack wasn't awake yet, he went running in there to make sure everything was ok. He was fine, but he was sleeping still.

This is the kid who has not been asleep until 9 am since he was an infant. (Actually, he is very rarely asleep at 7 am, never mind something crazy like 9 am.)

Strange days indeed.

14 comments:

  1. I love the Box bag...and the shirting fabric! Sleeping children can indeed be strange :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for late mornings!
    :)

    I hope the coughing spells are over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cd pocket and the fabric it is made from. Hope Jacks coughing spells are soon over.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Q and I are sick too-- prob with the same thing Jack has! We seem/feel relatively fine during the day, but at night, coughing our brains out. Doc said our lungs sounded clear. Left her office yesterday with amoxicillin (since we've had it for over 2 weeks) and Benadryl for her, and amoxicillin, ASTHMA INHALER, and prednizone for me!!!! My doc had to get creative because of my being PG.

    Love both things you made. You are so resourceful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. way cool for and your handmade awesomeness!! parker is 5 and i can't get him to sleep till 9! lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Years to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great job you've done on the handcrafting front Sarah. The zipper---AWESOME!! Yep, I say you definitely need a sewing room!
    Happy new year to you and your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are great idea's. I especially like your wool felt pencil holder. I have done semi-homemade Christmas' for several years now, but always find the men so stinking hard! I'm going to try my hand at knitting socks for them next year. Wish me luck...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So clever to use shirt fabric! The box bag and cd pocket is so nice!! Want to make a post holiday present for my husband now ;-)

    Btw: The measurement is not exact, but I fill one huge pot with about 8 - 10 l water and add 1/2 cup salt, and 1/2 cup baking soda. Then I boil it for about an hour. Rinse and dry. If its really bad, I might even add bleach to the water and leave overnight before rinsing. If the fabric is too delicate to bleach try leaving it out in the sun for a few days after rinsing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, sorry about Jack's illness. We've been doing something similar since before Christmas, think I'm the last of it. The cough seems to linger a while.

    That monkey fabric is TOO CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. go you! looks like you got a lot of handmade gifts accomplished! I think I'm going to have to start making stuff earlier...I didn't get a fraction of the gifts done I wanted to.

    Hope Jack feels better!

    :) D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boy, you were a busy seamstress this year -- Love that cute monkey fabric! Maybe Jack is entering a new big-boy phase and sleeping-in. Doesn't that just give you the willies though the first time it happens? What parent hasn't has that sensation running in to check on the sleeping babe?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Late mornings!!!
    Great 'make' going on, I love the box bag. Wishing you all the best for the New year

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tag, your it!

    Happy New Year :)

    Tiff

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?