Thursday, December 27, 2007

A semi-handmade holiday

In a move that is completely unlike me, I have taken down most of the Christmas decorations already. For some reason winter is suffocating me this year. I miss spring already. I want flowers and sunshine and time to play in the backyard and bbq and yard sales and Jack in the sandbox.

Plus, I have ideas brewing for Valentine and Easter crafts already, and they seemed silly with the Christmas decorations up.

It's going to be a long winter, isn't it? :-)
While most of Jack's presents are of the plastic, requiring batteries type, most of the other gifts this year were made by me. At the last minute I was scrambling to find gift ideas that I could make to stuff into David's stocking. I found a piece of felt? felted wool? mystery fabric at a thrift store sometime last year, so I cut into it to make a little pencil cup for his desk.

It's pretty darn cute, I see a sewing room version in my future.
The other part of this present is still not complete, I need to applique an apple onto a shirt for Jack. An apple and an apple tree for them to wear, a.k.a. "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." LOL

It was hard to make the apple fabric stand out from the white shirt, and I still worry that the polka dots are too girly, even though Dave assures me that they are not.

15 comments:

  1. Jennifer11:32 AM

    Your apple and apple tree shirt idea is TOO CUTE! I just might have to steal that one for Valentine's at our house...

    And, yes, it's going to be a long winter. Just yesterday my hubby asked, "How many times is it going to snow this December?" And while I love the snow, all I could think was, "It's still December?"

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pencil cup holder is such a smart idea! And, I love the shirt!!! :) Polka dots are not too girly so long as they're not pink! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some cute stuff. The apple shirt is too much! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pencil holder, and the shirt doesn't look girly to me. I too, am done with winter. Christmas is put away, and I have already made my first easter decoration. I desperately need some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your good! I have to admit that I was less into Christmas decorations this year to start with. I think that when I decided to make so many presents and started in October, it stretched out Christmas so long that I was over it before it actually happened.

    I love all your father son projects. Your family is such a team.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Christmas season but after it's over, I start yearning for warmer months.

    Your t-shirt turned out sooo cute and doesn't look girl to me at all. Good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, lovelove the pencil holder! What a great idea!!

    My decorations are up longer than usual this year, I'm thinking maybe til Epiphany even. They usually come down, or the process starts anyway, the day after Christmas or sometimes on Christmas afternoon! We didn't have much of a fall here in east Texas, rarely do any more, so we're just getting into the beginning of wintery temps.

    That being said, I am going to start on my spring projects this weekend! And, some for next Christmas in the form of gift bags!

    Happy New YEAR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm like you, I get a little exicted for the next holiday right away. I saw Valentine's things in a store yesterday and nearly swooned! Especially since my Loopy's birthday is around Valentine time so I make quite an event of it. Cheer up. Winter is long, but there's lots to celebrate yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have the same spring itch, but the 3 feet of snow doesnt seem to be going anywhere!!!!LOL
    ang

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been taking down my decorations today (it's a work in progress). I usually leave them up a bit longer too. I'm just ready to start doing some regular decorating around here, and more settling-in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my first visit to your blog and I love it :) I too am almost ready to take down the xmas decor!!! As soon as winter is over with, I am ready for the snow to be over with.. Sadly,it doesn't leave New York until March or April, UGH! Have a wonderful New Year...
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. the apple tree idea is cracking me up! and i have my stuff down too. ready for spring. or at least this snow to melt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The felt pencil cup is adorable! I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the apple & apple tree shirt ideas!

    It is going to be a long winter... I am so ready for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting! And Dave saw him in the basement?? I bet Jack about died when he heard that. ;)

    Love your acorn ornaments!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?