Monday, January 07, 2008

Making something out of nothing

I fell in love with the last page (well, really the first page) of the May '07 Cotton Time as soon as I saw it. Shortly after Christmas I was browsing the magazine again, and I knew I had to make one of those wreaths, even though the wreath is not one of the projects in the magazine.
Because I have been in super thrifty mode for awhile now, I wanted to make it with stuff I already had around here instead of buying a lot of supplies for it.
I love the finished product so much. So soft and natural and flowery. And the whole thing only cost me about $1.50. I think I am going to make this picture into postcards.
A run down of the supplies:
*Pink linen from Hancock clearance table, 1/2 yard = $1.50
*Green silk for the leaves, a small piece my aunt had given me a year ago = free
*Blue pips for flower centers, cut from flowers in my stash cabinet = free
*Wreath form made from branches that fell during our last storm, tied together with bits of twine I was throwing away from another project = free (Lovingly made by my sweet husband.)
*Styrofoam apple forms, reconstructed from egg shaped Styrofoam from last Easter = free
*Wool roving for the needle felted apples, from stash, dyed with lime kool-aid from the pantry to make it apple green = free (I love needle felting, why don't I do it more often?)
*Apple stems, plucked from the big red apples in the bowl on the counter = free *Piece of vintage velvet ribbon, from stash = free
*A lot of more of my time than I ever imagined, but really in love with the results!

It is crazy, unnaturally warm here right now (in the 70's), so Jack and I are off to play outside and soak up the sunshine. Happy Monday to you.

32 comments:

  1. VERY cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea . . . and execution. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah it's gorgeous! I may have to try one myself from things that I currently have. I should really stick to using what I have anyway. :) Great job! You are so creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful Sarah !!!!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I especially love the little felted apples. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty, my daughter would love to wear that on her head :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is crazy awesome and i love it even more because you thrifted so much of it! way to be resourceful and rock it out at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome!!!!!I love it!!!!!!

    So a bit of midnight tossing uh lol.
    That sounds like a plan lol. I'm tearing apart Bears room tomorrow.We'll see what he notices lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, it's gorgeous. I think that photo will make a lovely postcard.

    good job, bob!

    (oh, sorry, you're not one of my kids.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely! Yours looks just like the one in the photo. Also, I love how thrifty you were. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice and spring-y Sarah! Perfect for this odd but amazing weather!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Sarah that wreath made my mood better, I even think the flu is lighter! ;-)Since Spring is so far away here I think I'll have to try making one,to get some Spring feeling here ;-)You and Jack musthave fun outside in the sun, and enjoy it a bit for me too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! It turned out so nice! And, I love the original picture. I'm so out of the loop, what is 'Cotton Time'?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely- a bit of spring in the winter!
    Not that it feels like winter around here either- I opened some windows today to let in the fresh air. In January!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It turned out great! I love it!

    It's unnaturally warm here, too. No sun, though. Gloomy and humid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is beautiful. A touch of spring on this spring-like day. I love that you used your stash, too.

    Cheers! LA

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Amazing what forcing yourself to be thrify can produce! In need to do that and see what I can come up with. Enjoy the weather! It's freezing for CA standards today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Darling wreath and I love that you didn't spend a lot of money.
    :) Bren

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sarah that looks wonderful.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its delightful! And good for you for being so frugal :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bravo Sara!! What a terrific job you did.
    You're the third blog in a row I've read claiming unusually warm weather. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it!!! How creative!

    With friendship,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Isn't it the best when you make something you love out of something you already have. That's the best feeling in the world!
    70's! It's 17 degrees here right now. Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the green apples! It was way warm here yesterday too! the wind chill today has cooled things down quite a bit,

    ReplyDelete
  25. very cute!

    and i can't help it. your title is making me sing, "making love outta nothing at all (makin' loo-o-ve!)"

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! I am amazed that you spent that little on something that splendid! A job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sarah you are so creative! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  28. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!! Thank you for the wonderful birthday wishes!!!!
    Auberne' Ancalimon

    http://storybookwoods.typepad.com/auberne_ancalimon/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Heidi6:13 AM

    Wow, that's gorgeous. And great use of stash!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am so happy that you left me a note on my blog so that I would have the pleasure of seeing the beautiful things you make. Your flower wreath is just breathtakingly lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?