Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Since those summer days

The thrift gods have not smiled upon me in so many months that I almost didn't bother going thrifting today while Jack is at school. But my husband left a little extra cash and a note that said maybe I would get lucky, so I went ahead and hit a few close to home thrifts.

And since wonders never cease, I actually did find a few things. And it did cheer me up slightly. Not as much as Jack telling me in the car that I needed to go to court again tomorrow*, but the sun is shining, and I am pushing onward.

The bread box is plastic, and someone has done a rather horrible paint job on it. It's red on the inside, and I thought at first I might try and remove the paint, but eh, maybe I like it as is. I am sucker for those old Meyercord decals.
This old (maybe?) pottery console set nearly drove me crazy. I kept finding myself drawn to it, then putting it down and walking away from it. I couldn't decide if it was actually old pottery or not, and I think had the three pieces not been together I wouldn't have thought it was vintage at all. But seeing the three pieces together it screamed "console set", and well, that is a vintage thing for sure. Originally I only bought the candlesticks, because I am not crazy about the bowl. But, it felt wrong to split up the set, and my husband told me to go back for the bowl, even if I only stuck it in a cabinet.

When I got it home and put the candlesticks with the rest of my growing pottery collection, they definitely looked "right" age wise. But who knows? Maybe one of you has a better idea about it.
This is a GORGEOUS old light fixture. I nearly jumped up and down when I spied it on the bottom shelf of a Goodwill. (Goodwill wouldn't have put it out if they had known it was old. They don't believe in vintage around here, lol.) The guy at the cash register was a bit of a pain about it, not wanting to sell it, insisting parts were missing and so forth. I had to explain how it works about 3 times before he just took the $4.

I don't really have a place for it in this house, but since this isn't our forever house, I will just tuck it away for safe keeping.
And not the most exciting find, but I have been wanting fringed crepe paper forever. They had loads of red, but only one pink. It was clearly from Target, but I never remember seeing it in Target. I love that Goodwill is like the Target outlet sometimes.

*There was a big ordeal last summer where I phoned the police about a law breaking neighbor. When the Sheriff arrived, the neighbor, who was on a dirt bike, took off and a rather exciting high speed chase ensued. It ended in his arrest, with a million felony charges. Unfortunately, I was the only witness when the charges were filed. The day after Christmas I was served with a subpoena to testify as a witness for the state. So, when I went to court, Jack went to his friend Joey's house to play. His asking me to go back to court is his way of telling me he would like to visit Joey. Kids! (We are going to visit Joey tomorrow.)

**Has anyone figured out which artist the last two blog titles came from? :-)

28 comments:

  1. Sting!

    (and I'm so telling Bon Jovi that you're "cheating" on him!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that light fixture! Good finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband is the sweetest thing ever.

    I LOVE your Eiffel towers and want to go back and look at the pictures of your kitchen, etc. It all looks so adorable.

    That was good news about Jack & the potty last week, too. (sorry I'm so behind.)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, that was me before! LOl

    Love the console set--I definitely think it looks old. The light fixture is beautiful! I see those periodically and always wish I had a use for them. I once bought an old glass globe for $1 at a garage sale, hoping to use it on the fixture that is over my sink. When I got it home, it was too big for the existing fixture--bummer! I could probably go to the hardware store and buy a new, larger collar thing to fit it but I think that might just be more work than I'm willing to do. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a seet heart your hubby is to do that for you.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, did Heidi have a big old cursing fit in her original post??? ;o)

    Great finds. Great husband.

    When my son was in Kindergarten, he kpt asking if it was time for Teacher's COnferences - every day in fact. Why would this kid want Teacher's Conferences, I thought. After much questioning, I found it was because during the first Teacher Conference, his Grandma took him to McDonald's and let him have not one, but TWO McFlurries. So, teacher's conference = ice cream to him.

    PS I mailed my cards today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish I had the time and energy to thrift. We missed this month's flea market. Your finds make me want to try hard to make next months! Especially since they are supposed to be turning our fairgrounds (where the flea market is held) into a shopping mall soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finds Sarah! dh gets my vote for sweetie of the week, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. the court story is a kid classic. I love it! Also, great finds. I have to great light fixture covers - one I use as a a big bowl for displaying things at the shoppe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for hubby! Great finds Sarah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not original but I'm just gonna join on the bandwagon and say - Your husband is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was very kind of your husband to insist that you go thrifting. I'm happy that it made you feel better. You did well. As always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love how Jack thinks you need to go to court again:) So cute!

    Looks like you had a successful time thrift shopping:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great finds. Glad you had some winter luck, what a precious husband! Speaking of felony neighbors, did I tell you what happened to our pot-growing neighbors? I called the land lord and told him that we were going to report them to the authorities and I thought he might want to know what was happening in his house. I went home that evening and he was evicting them. Stuff all over the front lawn, pure chaos. Of course, the 'plant' was gone... but we were, needless to say, thrilled! We have the nicest girls living there now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The console set is beautiful, the color is just dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all your thrift finds and you were right for not breaking up the set. The light fixture is gorgeous too.

    Hope you made your hubby a good dinner:)

    Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous2:48 PM

    Love the light shade...I wanted one several years ago & was happy to come across one at the flea market that was very pretty ($20). I needed one with the hole in the center for my ceiling fixture so this one worked great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. GAHHHHH!!!! Further proof of why I am meant to live in the Midwest. Sheesh. Congrats on your fun shopping excursion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a nice hubby! I'm sure he's happy that he's getting so many pats on the back ;)

    When John has chemo, his mother comes to watch Isaiah. He's been basically pushing us out the door each time. I guess sometimes they need a break from us just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hooray for your finds!

    Everytime we leave the house Peter asks for "Friends?"

    ReplyDelete
  22. ok - that last comment was actually me. It's a long story...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it's grand that your husband encourages to go treasure hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE that console set Sarah! And I think you did well in not splitting them up, they're perfect together!!

    I cant belive how adorable your husband is! So sweet!

    *Hihi* Jack is so cute! Maybe you should sign up as a jury duty ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. "But my husband left a little extra cash and a note that said maybe I would get lucky"

    Aww...your hubby is too sweet! Looks like you found some great stuff! I haven't been thrifting in forever, but perhaps I'll stop on my way home today after being inspired by your post?

    ReplyDelete
  26. i am sooooo ready to be back to yard sales and good thrifting! nice scores for the dead of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  27. martha blog.. wish i could be organized like her......
    lovin' all of your goodies today. i have a few of my own to post soon.....

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW, you got some Fab stuff, I love the blue pottery and I have the same pink light fixture in my kitchen:) I need info on where to get the ruffler, IT looks so neeto! I LOVE the Pillow It is beautiful~

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?