Thursday, January 31, 2008

Weeks in the making

I started making this pillow several weeks ago. I finally had gotten around to ordering the ruffler attachment for my sewing machine, and I wanted a project to put a ruffle on when it arrived. A million and one things got in the way of getting it finished, including wondering what on earth I had done when I pulled that attachment out of the box and discovered there were no directions on how to use it. It looks really complicated, but it is actually quite easy, and if I didn't still have this darn cough, I would be ruffling everything in sight. LOL
I used a book page that Jen Duncan has kindly scanned for everyone to use as the pattern for the embroidery. I fully intended to make those cherries red, but when it came time to do it, I couldn't bring myself to make them anything other than pink.
Look at that perfect ruffle! And they are fast too.

The rest of the pillow is a patchwork of different Simply Shabby sheets that have I picked up at the thrift. The hard to see one on the edge is green with pink roses.

I always love the throw pillows that Target carries to go with the sheets, but can never afford to spend $25 on a throw pillow, so I am totally pleased with my version.

Now if I could just get Jack to settle down in his room so I could close my eyes on it for a few minutes while the snow falls fast and furiously outside.

There will certainly be the much anticipated sledding in his near future.

(You can watch a video of the ruffler foot in action here . I ordered mine through my Husqvarna dealer.)

23 comments:

  1. Ooo I want a ruffler attachment now! Very pretty pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the embroidery - so pretty! And the pink cherries are just right. Your pillow turned out lovely.

    It's snowing pretty hard here, but I've heard that north of Chicago should only get 2-4". We'll see if that's true or not. My son is hoping for a snow day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! I love the birds on the pillows. You seriously make the nicest stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Just when I was going to say "Oh I could NEVER use a gadget after all these years of ruffling by hand!" I go and watch that video and it's super slick! Cool! It was so fun opening this post today because I'd just gotten up off the couch from embroidering THIS VERY SAME BOOK PAGE! I appliqued fabric into the leaves and cherries. Much busier. I think I like yours better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on that pillow. Love the embroidery.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at the ruffler go! I want one, too! Wonder if they make one for my machine hmm . . .

    Your fabrics and embroidery are darling! Wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeouse pillow! And the ruffle is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shabby chic line too. What a darling version of the throw pillow :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty, this turned out very nice!
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so want to upgrade sewing machines! Lovely work! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so dainty and pretty. Love the little bird an delicate cherries.

    Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty!! I love my ruffler too. Haven't used it in forever though!

    I expect a major "Jack in the snow" post tomorrow. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh get out! They make a ruffle attachment? Now THAT! Is something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. I never knew there was such a thing as a ruffler attachment. I'll have to look into getting one. I ADORE your pillow! Why buy one at target when you can make a cooler one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what fun sarah! It is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ruffler attachment?! i didn't even know such a thing existed! i think i just may need one of these.

    the pillow looks great!

    :) Diana
    The Chic Life

    ReplyDelete
  17. So jealous of your snow! In this part of NJ it's been raining all day- we've haven't had a decent snow yet this year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Funny you mentioned husqvarna 'cause when I first started reading and you said there weren't really any instructions I thought to myself that you must have a Viking. I love my ruffler, but it drives me crazy that there's no way to know what the finished lenghth of your ruffle will be. I finally made some little samples and wrote on them to hopefully give me a rough idea. Your embroidery is very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's so beautiful, it's a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's adorable! Your projects always turn out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh-Target could only wish to carry such fab pillows! Beautiful!!! xo-Mel

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is beautiful!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?