Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Blood, Sweat and Tears

(Warning: Picture heavy post ahead. I uploaded them smaller than usual in the hopes that you could still upload the entry on slower connections. As always, you can click to enlarge the photos.)
I love looking at the spaces that other people create in. I always wish I could sit down with them in their space, dig through their goodies and make something! My space is finally as clean as it is ever going to get (except it needs a good vaccuuming), so I thought I would share it. It is our smallest room, so it is pretty crowded, but I love it. It was worth every bit of the 2+ weeks it took me to clean and reorganize all of that stuff. (And I seriously thought I was going to have to call in Miss Niecy to help me clean up my foolishness.)

The view from the door. Yes, there are 2 chandeliers. I don't have a place for the second one yet, but I wasn't going to leave it at the thrift store, now was I? You can also see my awesome wool hooked seashell rug, left over from my little beach house in Florida. (Sniff. Sniff. I miss the sea. You will spy pieces of it all over the room.)
Some of my favorite vintage baby blankets and pieces of vintage patchwork waiting to be reborn.

What, you don't have an old stuffed donkey in your sewing room? LOL
Vintage letters bought on the Hwy 127 sale, finally hung. An old silk hat (love the dots!). Bunch of stuff on the cutest old coat rack that really stills need to be sorted through. Fabric scraps in a vintage shoe organizer.
The drawer of the cabinet my husband repaired for me. My old paperweight collection. Pins and stuff shoved in old magarine containers. My grandmother's celluloid dresser set.
I love, love these fabric bins. You can get them at Target and the hardware store ($6). They hold an amazing amount of crap. We use them in the playroom, Jack's room, in here, well, everywhere really. One bin holds an entire dresser drawer worth of fabric! So much more efficient. Plus, you can just pull them out and see all of your fabric without having to dig for hours through piles.
An old glass battery case that holds my scraps. Well, some of my scraps. Mostly the really tiny pieces that I just grab to check my thread tension or to practice new stitches on.
Ikea shelving. Now holding mostly fabric instead of everything in the universe. All of the small things went into different canisters and went into the cabinet drawers.
Jars of ribbons and buttons. Books and old Workbasket magazines. A freshly born Jack. Old enamel storage boxes holding felt and crepe paper.
Lovely old frame holding the sweetest mini quilt, made for me by Pink Trees .
My patchwork cork inspiration board, now covered with bits and pieces of so many of you!

Whew, we made it. Are you still alive? :0) I hope you find a bit of inspiration of your own in my mess!

25 comments:

  1. scissorspaperglue9:04 AM

    lovely and some good ideas! for some reason your comment from my post didn't make it into my email inbox. thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty and inspiring!
    We have the same IKEA bookcase in our home -- it's in my daughter's room holding books and knicknacks. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Love the idea for using a shoe organiser for scraps. Mine are in a wicker shopping basket and (blush) a carrier bag at the moment. I'm going to get a shoe organiser as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cozy space! Right now I am just dreaming of a craft room...but someday...someday I will come back to this post for storage ideas! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic space! Can I come over?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew! I know how long it took you to put this post up! Loved it. Love your sweet room. I have that 'glass battery case' but I thought it was a fishbowl because I also have the wrought iron stand that it fits perfectly in. Thanks for the fabric bins tip. good one! Oh, and I adore the spotted hat! FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! Your room looks absolutely fabulous. I am embarking on the same journey, I just had my shelves delivered a few hours ago. I think it's going to take me a long time to get things looking half as organized as your space. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks fantastic! a great space for inspiration and creation! Happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah what a great creative space to work in.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's lovely! It's makes my sapce look like a flea market LOL (and not in the good way!) The curtains look great in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Oh I love snooping around peoples craft space...how I love your Ikea shelves and the little picture Oh thank you for sharing this...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh can I move in ;-) Looks wonderful !!!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool Sarah! Those shelves look so neat and organized. It's nice to see how you store a lot of your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice space! Makes me want to sit down with you in and dig through your goodies. :)

    Love the oval frame with the sweet, tiny quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it.I've been in the mood to organize.. hope that I can even get half as good as you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what an amazing space you've made for yourself!

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for letting us dig through your space! what a great ref;ection of your creative mind!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vallen9:08 PM

    Pretty enough to be a magazine feature!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW, you did a wonderful job, sooo worth the two weeks. After seeing your, I cant wait to set up my new sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was fun! I get so inspired looking at spaces where other people get inspired! :) It looks warm, vintage and cozy!

    Where oh WHERE did you get those curtains? Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooooo....lovely room. I especially like the old enamel boxes and the IKEA shelving. Very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I'm jealous. Your space is so cute (and clean!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your space looks lovely & inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous craftroom. I wish I had a space to call my own - I'd want it to look girly like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I'm jealous!Very lovely room. Makes me want to re-do my sewing room right now. I might have to visit Ikea soon.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?