Friday, March 14, 2008

Can you feel it?

Spring is getting seriously close, can you feel it? We can hear the birds singing, feel the sun shining and we are coming out of our heavy winter coats.

I am seriously excited. Thrifting has really been the pits this winter (recession?), and I cannot wait for garage sales to start again. I miss the thrill of the hunt.

It doesn't help that I am in a big "making" rut also. I cannot for the life of me manage to make anything other than dinner.
Of course I have still managed to find a few things. I found this pair (what is it with the pairs?) of cornucopia pottery vases on Ebay. They were so ridiculously cheap that even with shipping it was less than I would have paid at the thrift. I have 9 cornucopia vases now. I never would have imagined myself a cornucopia person, but I am really drawn to this shape in pottery.
There was an estate sale this morning that I originally took a pass on, but after visiting 2 nearly empty thrift stores, I changed my mind. I waited until all the crazy take-a-number waiting hordes were gone, and figured I could dig through whatever "trash" was left.

I am glad I went back. The house was gorgeous (a historic home in St Charles, built in 1890), and there were plenty of beautiful, interesting things to look at. I managed to find 4 tablecloths, all spread over the house. But man, they are dirty. I see boiling in my future. I love these novelty cloths, and they are sometimes hard to find.
And I picked up a quilt top. This thing is pretty darn big and machine sewn, but I love the simplicity of the blue and white. I was a little bummed to see plenty of grandma's flower garden tops walking around on other women's arms, but, eh, I already have a gorgeous totally done quilt in that pattern now!
When I upgraded my flickr account, I got 10 free moo cards. These things are gorgeous and so much fun. I will definitely be making more. The lanterns in the tree look particularly awesome.

P.S. I finished Drowning Ruth last week, and if anyone in the US wants it, just let me know. I will send it to you on the slow boat. (It's hardcover.) It was a very good book.

This week's book was Julie & Julia , which I read in a day or so after I grabbed it at the last minute at the library. An excellent little read also. But I have no idea what to read next...

Happy Friday everyone!

12 comments:

  1. Oh come on Spring! :)

    In the Moo cards, there is a picture of what I think are tissue paper flowers? I can't remember that, did you make some? :) hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might be interested in that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about the seasons changing because here, everything looks the same. Thus, time kind of drags ...

    I had no idea that cornucopias were the subject of so many home decorating pieces! Cool! Maybe I was in the dark b/c Thanksgiving is a lower-key affair in Canada ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm so impressed you can make dinner, because I know I can't manage to make that half the time, haha. Those moo cards are really cute, one of these days i'll make some of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for spring!!! You make me want to find an estate sale. I've never been to one, but they sound so fun.

    And, those are awesome moo cards! I like the one with Jack in it. Great photography. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. leslie8:13 AM

    love those vases, so cool. i felt like i went thrifting and estate sale shopping with you. fun post!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous MOO cards. I need to start taking better pictures so I can have some of those done. ;) Oh... And don't hate me, but I tagged you, so you get to do a meme, if you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah! Spring is coming here as well, and I adore it! The flea marked season has justed started here as well, but none close to me yet. Tomorrow I'm heading out to the local Sunday antique and used marked. I think I'll just be browsing though as the items are often pricy and too precious. But I always have to drop by to see if its anything good anyway ;-) It seems like the flea markets here are soo expensive compared to yours, maybe because we're such a small population...Btw yor vases are beautiful!I hope you are having a lovely weekend Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vicki9:54 AM

    You should read "Expecting Adam" by Martha Beck. She's now an Oprah columnist, but I just couldn't put the book down. Vicki at Hollyhocks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked Drowning Ruth too. Yes spring is here-I just hope it stays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad your moo cards came out good. Mine were so dark. The original photos didn't seem dark, but something got lost in translation. As for books, I enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love. It was funny, sweet and thought provoking. And, I swallowed The Madonnas of Leningrad whole. Literally, in one huge bite! Love, Love, Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I can feel spring creeping in. In fact I have started a flickr collection titled spring summer, where I am already putting my photos- even if it isn't offically even spring yet.

    I've read Drowning Ruth before and it is a very haunting book. I have a little quotes books where I write my favorite quotes and I have a bunch from that book.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?