Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Flea Market Tote

Last week I picked up a falling apart, handmade, rather 1980's pillow sham at the thrift store. I loved the rose print on it, but hated the giant mauve ruffle it had. I wish I had taken a before picture, but you get the idea, a pillow sham with a double ruffle, one pink, one flowered, closed with velcro and worse for the wear.

Saturday night I set about ripping it apart to make myself a fresh tote bag for the new flea market season. Essentially I just threw away the mauve ruffle bit, and resewed the remaining flowered ruffle as rows of ruffles on the front.
Smack it all together in a tote bag shape, add a pair of wicker handles...
and an earring that long ago lost it's mate, a piece of vintage velvet ribbon, and voila! A new flea market tote.

It's a bit saggy around the top because the ruffles are actually quite heavy, but I look forward to filling it with treasures this year.

19 comments:

  1. Oooh - it has a pretty, Shabby Chic feel, very nice! And especially nice that you gave new life to that fabric - bravo! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I love the ruffling - very smart to reuse the ruffle that way. Also very smart to ditch the mauve. ;) Spring will come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! Very beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous creation.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute! I love the touch of the earring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is an adorable bag! you sewers amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so pretty! I love that fabric and that little bit of bling. Very cute.

    Thanks for the dress suggestion. I clicked on Old Navy to find wrap dresses, and they have a few. Hopefully, I'll be able to find some of the same in a store!

    I prefer the wrap style for shirts, as well. A little bit of camouflage is always nice! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh love the ruffles !!!!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job- you have an amazing eye!
    Mauve- how very 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously, you do the neatest things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's hoping the bag is packing lots of good flea market mojo! How could it not having been rescued from a thrift and repurposed so elegantly?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sarah, I came to your blog from Jennifer Juniper's. I love this bag you made! It's lovely. You obviously have great style!
    I read several posts, and I'm a pottery junkie, too.
    Nice to meet you. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! And I bet it brings you wonderful luck at the flea this year. :)

    I'm very into "repurposing" right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bag turned out cute and I love the shelf you have it hanging on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! that is sooo cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the tote Sarah!
    I gotta make me one!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. What say you?